The following questions provide an easily understandable overview of Michigan's finances. To find the answer to a particular question, click on it. Where appropriate, answers may include links to additional, more detailed information. We are interested in hearing your thoughts or suggestions regarding the questions and answers. Use this link to submit comments.
- What are the total revenues and expenses of state government?
- What are the state's primary sources of revenue?
- How do current year tax collections compare to prior years?
- How much tax does the state collect?
- What are the largest programs supported by state government?
- What is the Rainy Day Fund and how much does the state have in the fund?
- How much does the state spend from the School Aid Fund to support education?
- Where does the funding for the School Aid Fund come from?
- How much does the State Lottery contribute to the School Aid Fund?
- How much does the state spend on health services?
- Where does the funding for health services come from?
- Does the state borrow money?
- What does the state do when it needs to borrow?
- How much debt has the state incurred?
- How does Michigan's debt load compare to other states?
- How can I find out more about Michigan's finances?
- How can I obtain additional information about specific state government departments and agencies?
- Is there someone I can contact if I have additional questions about the state's financial reporting?