Physical Security Overview
- Physical security involves mechanisms to provide access control, physical barriers and authentication systems such as biometric systems.
- One of the hottest areas of security is the digital convergence space. Developing products that can monitor and manage digital and physical security controls in one package.
- Physical security not only deals with the digital environment, but also the environmental and business environments.
- Physical security controls and expertise are usually found in separate areas within an organization.
- You can get a professional certification that focuses on the physical environment from ASIS (PSP).
- Physical security is accomplished through proper facility construction; fire and water damage protection;proper heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) controls;antitheft mechanisms; intrusion detection systems and security procedures that are enforced.
- Physical security has a different set of vulnerabilities than computer and information security.