Environmental Permits, Licenses, and Certifications
START UP AND GROW
At the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ), doing our best to help assure permits are issued timely is a common goal between DEQ and new businesses. There are two important elements that will help us achieve this goal.
- Assure identification of all permits required for the project. The DEQ, Office of External Relations (OER) offers personal assistance to new and growing businesses to meet this end.
- Begin permitting discussions with DEQ as early as possible. We can save you time by providing assistance; helping assure an efficient application process.
If you need assistance identifying relevant environmental permits for a new venture, refer to our DEQ Permit Checklist first. If you have any questions, please contact the OER, Permit Coordination program through our Environmental Assistance Hotline at 800-662-9278.
Sector Permit Checklists: If your business is specific to the following operations, please utilize the checklist below.
- Permit Information Checklist for Farming Operations (pdf - new April 2014)
- Permit Information Checklist for Schools (Word document)
The DEQ places an emphasis on customer service and compliance assistance. Compliance assistance is well integrated within the entire department and there are over 15 people that specialize solely in compliance assistance tools and initiatives. The program is very active in terms of training and outreach. Michigan businesses routinely compliment the department for our unique and comprehensive outreach and compliance assistance. One example of a tool developed just for Michigan businesses is the Guide to Environmental, Health, and Safety Regulations. This desk reference is updated and released every other year at DEQ's premier compliance event called the Michigan Environmental Compliance Conference. The guide contains both DEQ and Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Act requirements in an easy to use format.
Public Involvement Handbook - Improve your input into DEQ Permit Processes
DEQ Site Registry - The Site Registry is a geographically-based site that presents information about locations of interest to the DEQ. This site contains information on completed cleanups and past operations as well as data on current operations and activities. Additional locations and compliance data from additional DEQ databases will be added as resources become available.
- Agriculture & Rural Development (MDARD)
- Gaming Control Board (MGCB)
- Human Services (MDHHS)
- Insurance & Financial Services (DIFS)
- Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA)
- Natural Resources (DNR)
- Secretary of State (SOS)
- Transportation (MDOT)
- Treasury & Taxes
- Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA)