Asbestos NESHAP ProgramDepartment of Environmental Quality (DEQ) Asbestos NESHAP Program
The Air Quality Division (AQD) of the DEQ has been delegated to implement the National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants (NESHAP) program for asbestos in the state of Michigan. The asbestos NESHAP protects the public and environment by minimizing the release of asbestos fibers during renovation and demolition activities. Advanced notification is required to ensure all precautions are being taken to minimize asbestos emissions.
Oversight of this program includes receiving and reviewing Notifications of Intent to Renovate/Demolish Forms for content and completeness. This program is also responsible for conducting inspections of asbestos removal and demolition projects to determine compliance with the NESHAP regulations.
- AQD Asbestos Contacts - View
- Asbestos NESHAP Fact Sheet - View
- Asbestos NESHAP Regulations: 40 CFR Part 61, Subpart M - View
- Notification Form - Online Submittal System - View
- Notification Search System - View
- Reinventing Performance in Michigan: Asbestos Online Notification System - View
- Notification of Intent to Renovate/Demolish Form (pdf) - View
- Example Notifications:
- How Federal Asbestos Regulations Apply to Fire Suppression Training Webinar - View
- MIOSHA Asbestos Program: