Participating TransportersContact: Jeanette Noechel 586-494-5091 or Environmental Assistance Center 800-662-9278Agency: Environmental Quality
Act 138 Participating Transporter Search
A list of Act 138 permitted and registered transporters can be obtained by querying the Office of Waste Management and Radiological Protection’s (OWMRP’s) Waste Data System (WDS). For hazardous waste transporters licensed through an Alliance state other than Michigan, please use the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio’s (PUCO’s) search function.
The WDS is used to track activities at sites related to solid waste, scrap tire, hazardous waste and liquid industrial by-products (formerly liquid industrial waste) management. The WDS provides information about site ownership, operation, activities, inspections, as well as permits, licenses, registrations, waste manifests and program fees.
1. To get started, go to the Advanced Search page. Enter the Site ID or company name, if known. If this information is unknown, enter geographic information in the Location Address fields to limit your search (e.g. city, county, or DEQ District). In example below, the selection criteria entered is “OAKLAND.”
2. Next, expand the search options related to transporters by clicking on the radial button for the Hazardous and Liquid Industrial Waste Transporters.
3. This will expand the selection options and allow for the selection of a permit type (hazardous waste, liquid industrial waste/by-products, or alliance). In the example below, the selection criteria entered is “HW” for searching for a permitted and registered hazardous waste transporter.
4. After entering the desired selection criteria, scroll to the top of the page and select Run Query as shown below.
5. This will provide a list of sites matching the query criteria provided as displayed below. To obtain further detail on the site, select the Site ID link provided on the query results screen.
6. Select View to review the information displayed in the Transporters Module.
7. This screen will display information related to the transporter’s permit and permit expiration dates. To verify the registration is current, click on the radial button to the left of the effective permit and it will also display registration data related to the effective permit.
8. To verify the registration is current, click on the radial button to the left of the effective permit and it will also display registration data related to the effective permit and any additional permitting/registration for the transporter. In the example below, this transporter:
- has a hazardous waste transporter permit and registration that is effective until 3/9/17; and
- has a liquid industrial waste/by-products permit and registration that is effective until 3/9/17.
Hazardous waste transporters must have separate authorization (permit and registration) under Act 138 to transport liquid industrial waste/by-products.
Hazardous Material Carrier Search
The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO) maintains a database that contains the names of the trucking companies (carriers) that are registered with the Alliance for Uniform Hazmat Transportation. The Alliance consists of five member states: Michigan, Oklahoma, Nevada, Ohio, and West Virginia-- that have implemented the Uniform Program.