close print view
Inspection Report FormatContact: Byron Lane 517-281-6821
INSPECTION REPORT FORMAT
Part 315, Dam Safety, of the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act, 1994 PA 451, as amended (NREPA), requires that dam owners submit an inspection report that evaluates the condition of the dam and is prepared by a licensed professional engineer.
The inspection report is to be submitted at least once every 3 years for high hazard potential dams, once every 4 years for significant hazard potential dams, and once every 5 years for low hazard potential dams.
According to Part 315, an inspection report must include the following:
Rule 10 of the administrative rules for Part 315 specifies that an inspection report must include, at a minimum, the following parts:
1) A title sheet that includes the following information:
2) A conclusions and recommendations section that includes the following information:
3) A project information section that includes the following information:
4) A field inspection section that briefly describes the physical condition of the principal features of the dam and appurtenant structures, including the impoundment level, as they were observed during the field inspection
5) A structural stability section that includes a visual assessment of the stability of the dam based on available data, observations made during the inspection, and the results of any calculations that are performed
6) A hydrologic and hydraulic section that includes an evaluation of the spillway capacity, including a description of pertinent available information, such as:
7) An operation and maintenance section that includes the following:
8) Appendices that include the following:
Emergency Action Plans
Rule 11 requires owners of high and significant hazard potential dams to submit Emergency Action Plans (EAP's) to the DEQ with documentation that the plan has been submitted to the county or local emergency management coordinator. When preparing inspection reports, the owner shall determine if the plan is up-to-date and submit any revisions to the DEQ and the county or local emergency management coordinator.
For additional information, please contact:
Dam Safety Program
Copyright © 2001-2014 State of Michigan