Frequently Asked Questions
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS were developed by compliance assistance staff based on calls and e-mails received into our Environmental Assistance Center. While each question has been carefully answered, they are not designed to cover every aspect of the regulations relative to your situation. Please contact us anytime through the EAC at 800-662-9278 if you need help.
- How do I find the local health department?
- As a biodiesel manufacturer, what permits will I need from MDEQ?
- I am starting a new business. What permits may I need from the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ)?
- Regulations Applying to Leachate Evaporators
- Does the DEQ publish a book that explains all of its regulatory programs? Yes! The Michigan Guide to Environmental, Safety and Health Regulations.
- Do I have to notify the DEQ Air Quality Division even if the building I intend to demolish or remodel as not asbestos?
CONSUMER PRODUCTS RULE
- How do I become certified to evaluate visible emissions (opacity) in accordance with U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA) Reference Method 9?
- What is the proper way of disposing of a U.S. flag?
- Does a local fire department have to receive permission from the DEQ to burn a structure for fire training?
- My neighbor is burning trash in a burn barrel and the smoke is affecting my health. What can I do?
- What online resources are available to realtors and the general public interested in locating potentially contaminated or listed contaminated sites?
- Where can I find information about contaminated sites on the DEQ Web?
OIL & GAS
- What are mineral rights?
- How is property pooled for oil and gas production?
- What is Hydrogen Sulfide gas, and how is it produced?
- Does the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) require that an environmental consulting firm meet certain standards to be qualified to investigate and clean up contamination caused by leaking underground storage tanks (LUST)?
- Which underground or aboveground storage tanks need to pay fees, be plan reviewed, and registered in Michigan?
DISCHARGE MONITORING REPORTING (DMR)
SEPTAGE & BIOSOLIDS
TRAINING AND CERTIFICATION
- Do I need a permit to discharge wastewater from vehicle washing activities at municipally owned vehicle maintenance facilities?