Hazardous Waste and Liquid Industrial By-Product Regulations Webinar SeriesContact: Christine Grossman 517-284-6860Agency: Environmental Quality
Sign up for our email lists to stay informed on important issues, news, hearings, updates, trainings, and events.
The DEQ's Hazardous Waste and Liquid Industrial By-products Regulations Webinar Series is designed to help you understand and comply with the hazardous waste and liquid industrial by-products regulations. The webinars are hosted by the DEQ's Office of Public Affairs and Outreach and presented by DEQ, Hazardous Waste Program staff.
MDEQ Hazardous Waste Generator Trainer – Self Certification Form
This form may be used to document the dates the webinars below were viewed to satisfy a training requirement under the hazardous waste regulations. Utilize each webinar that applies to site-specific waste activities.
Waste 101 (recorded 9/27/16, 61 min)
In this webinar attendees learn the basics about the various types of waste, what regulations apply, to whom and who implements the enforcement program. Attendees will come away with a big picture perspective of how the waste regulations work and what common wastes fall into the various regulations out there, including those that overlap. The webinar covers hazardous waste, liquid industrial by-products, solid waste, PCB waste, medical waste, radiological waste and will touch on recycling.
- View the Waste 101 Webinar
- Download the Waste 101 Webinar Slides
- Download the Waste 101 Webinar Notes
Universal Waste (recorded 11/16/16, 68 min)
In this webinar attendees will learn the basics about Michigan’s universal waste regulations. Attendees will learn why the universal waste regulations exist, what a universal waste is, and how universal waste must be handled and disposed to meet the universal waste partial exemption from hazardous waste regulation.
- View the Universal Waste Webinar
- Download the Universal Waste Webinar Slides
- Download the Universal Waste Webinar Notes
Hazardous Waste and Liquid Industrial By-product Characterization and Generator Status (recorded 1/18/17, 70 min)
In this webinar attendees will learn the basic steps for determining if a waste is a hazardous waste, liquid industrial by-product, or non-hazardous solid waste and how to calculate your site’s hazardous waste generator status. These concepts are vital to understanding how to properly manage and dispose of waste.
- View the Waste Characterization and Generator Status Webinar
- Download the Waste Characterization and Generator Status Webinar Slides
- Download the Waste Characterization and Generator Status Webinar Notes
- Download Waste Characterization Steps and Questions
- Download Optional Waste Characterization Record Form
Used Oil (recorded 2/23/17, 61 min)
In this webinar, attendees will learn how used oil is unique and characterized slightly differently than other wastes due to the fact that it has historically been known to be mixed with other toxic solvents. The Webinar discusses the management standards that apply to managing used oil, how to find recycling options, and the basic waste requirements for handling used oil.
- View the Used Oil Webinar
- Download the Used Oil Webinar Notes
- Request a Used Oil Common Violations Checklist and Emergency Posting and Label Sticker (please share mailing address)
- Download the Used Oil Overview Guidance Document
Hazardous Waste and Liquid Industrial By-Product Accumulation and Labeling (recorded 3/22/17, 64 min)
In this webinar, attendees will learn about the accumulation, storage and labeling, requirements that apply to the management of hazardous waste and liquid industrial by-product at conditionally exempt small quantity generators, small quantity generators and large quantity generators of hazardous waste.
- View the Accumulation, Storage, and Labeling Webinar
- Download the Accumulation, Storage, and Labeling Webinar Notes
Hazardous Waste and Liquid Industrial By-Products Inspection and Recordkeeping (recorded 4/18/17, 67 min)
In this webinar, attendees will learn about what to expect for an inspection and the specific records an inspector will want to see. It will cover records that need to be maintained (e.g. waste characterizations, monthly waste inventory, uniform manifests, land disposal restriction notifications, etc.) and provide an overview of what happens when an inspector comes to your facility.
- Download the Hazardous Waste and Liquid Industrial By-Product Inspection and Recordkeeping Webinar Slides
- Download the Hazardous Waste and Liquid Industrial By-Product Inspection and Recordkeeping Webinar Notes
Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator and Liquid Industrial By-product Generator Requirements – Thursday, May 18, 2017: 10:00 - 11:30 AM EDT
In this webinar, attendees will learn what a generator must do to meet the conditionally exempt small quantity generator (CESQG) exemption from full regulation as a hazardous waste. Attendees will also learn how exempted CESQG hazardous waste liquids and liquid industrial by-product must be managed to meet the state’s unique liquid industrial by-product regulations.