Water Infrastructure 101 Workshop
March 9, 2017 - 1:30 to 4:00 PM
Riverfront Banquet Center
1 Riverfront West, Flint, MI
FREE to the General Public
The Water Infrastructure 101 Workshop is aimed at providing basic information on topics associated with waterworks system infrastructure. The goal of the workshop is to provide attendees with a better understanding of the complex waterworks systems. The workshop is for the general public and will include presentations that address how water travels to and from a household, how it is tested, treated, and regulated. Industry experts, state, and local officials will be on hand to answer questions.
1:30 PM OPEN
2:00 PM Welcome and Introduction
2:10 PM City of Flint Water Infrastructure Progress update
2:40 – 4:30 Breakout sessions (20 minutes each – attendees may rotate to sessions of interest throughout the afternoon)
- Drinking Water Basics - Lean how drinking water gets to your house - from source to tap.
- Wastewater Basics - Lean what happens to water when it leaves your house - how it is treated and where it ends up.
- Water Filters and Water Flushing - learn how to properly install a water filter and flush pipes within your house.
- Copper Piping Overview - Learn why copper is used for drinking water pipes and how it is used in residential plumbing systems
- Household Maintenance Tips and Responsibilities - learn what basic preventative maintenance activities you should be taking in your home to maintain good water quality
- Residential Water Testing - learn how samples are taken, what contaminants are being sampled, and how to read the results
Staff from the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, American Water Works Association, Flint CORE Team, City of Flint Water Treatment Plant, and the Copper Development Association will be on hand to answer your questions in the assistance area throughout the workshop.
Register now at www.surveymonkey.com/r/WaterInfrastructure101.
Registration Questions: Alana Berthold, 517-284-6854
Free parking is available on a first come first serve basis at Riverfront Banquet Center. Additional parking is available in the Downtown Flat Lot or the Rutherford Parking Structure for a fee. Information about these lots is available at http://flinttown.com/parking.