Flint East Boulevard Former Manufactured Gas Plant Information
The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) is providing this Web site concerning Consumers Energy’s environmental cleanup activities at the Flint East Boulevard Former Manufactured Gas Plant (MGP). The environmental cleanup activities are scheduled to begin in June 2017 and will take place in and along the Flint River starting near 5th Avenue and progressing downstream to the Hamilton Dam. The environmental cleanup activities are necessary to address contamination left behind after MGP operations ended in the 1920s. This Web site serves to inform the public of what to expect from the DEQ during the environmental cleanup and river restoration activities.
- Background and Site History
- September 26, 2017 UPDATE: Consumers Energy's dredging and capping activities continue on the Flint River.
- August 29, 2017 UPDATE: Consumers Energy's dredging activities continue down river to the Hamilton Dam.
- July 13, 2017 UPDATE: Consumers Energy's ongoing dredging activities have progressed
- Parts of the Flint River Closed to Boat Traffic (June 2017)
- Consumers Energy began dredging river sediment on June 3, 2017 (June 2017)
- Updates to Site Preparation Activities (May 2017)