Michigan Disposal Waste Treatment Plant Hazardous Waste Management Operating License InformationContact: Kimberly Tyson 517-284-6574, Joseph Rogers 517-284-6569Agency: Environmental Quality
On October 31, 2016, the Office of Waste Management and Radiological Protection (OWMRP) received a hazardous waste management facility operating license application (Application) from Michigan Disposal Waste Treatment Plant (MDWTP) pursuant to Part 111, Hazardous Waste Management, of the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act, 1994 PA 451, as amended. MDWTP wishes to continue its hazardous waste storage and treatment operations located at 49350 North I-94 Service Drive in Belleville, Michigan. The Application is currently under review for completeness and technical adequacy.
MDWTP accepts solid and liquid hazardous waste generated at off-site facilities. Hazardous wastes are stored in containers or vertical tanks prior to treatment. MDWTP primarily treats hazardous waste through chemical stabilization and chemical oxidation. Treated waste is shipped off-site to another facility for disposal. The Application is required because MDWTP’s existing operating license will expire on October 31, 2017. Ms. Sylwia Scott is the contact person for the facility and can be reached by telephone at 734-699-6294 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The DEQ is reviewing the Application to determine if the proposed activities comply with all state and federal hazardous waste facility licensing requirements. The review will consist of the DEQ evaluating the proposed activities, facility and disclosure information, engineering design plans and specifications, hydrogeological characteristics, an environmental assessment, storage and treatment methods, and procedures for closure of the regulated units. If the Application is found to be incomplete, the missing information will be requested from MDWTP. As soon as the information is provided, the DEQ will proceed with the technical review. This review will consist of an in-depth evaluation of the information required in the Application. Based upon this review, the DEQ will propose to issue or deny the operating license. Prior to a final determination, a public hearing will be held regarding the tentative decision.
Comments on the Application must be sent to Ms. Tyson at the address below by February 20, 2017.
The Application is available for review online at the bottom of this page; at the Van Buren Charter Township, Clerk Office, 46425 Tyler Road, Van Buren Township, Michigan (contact Mr. Matthew Best at 734-699-8913); at the DEQ, Southeast Michigan District Office, Warren, Michigan (contact Mr. Michael Busse at 586-753-3839; email@example.com); at the DEQ, OWMRP, Constitution Hall, 4th floor South, 525 West Allegan Street, Lansing, Michigan (contact Ms. Kimberly M. Tyson at 517-284-6574; firstname.lastname@example.org); and at the U.S. EPA, Land and Chemicals Division, RCRA Branch, Mail Code LR-8J, 77 West Jackson Boulevard, Chicago, Illinois (contact Mr. James Blough at 312‑886‑2967; email@example.com).
To receive future DEQ notifications concerning the facility, please submit a written request for placement on the MDWTP facility mailing list to the address below. Comments or questions regarding the facility should be addressed to Ms. Kimberly M. Tyson, Hazardous Waste Section, Office of Waste Management and Radiological Protection, Department of Environmental Quality, P.O. Box 30241, Lansing, Michigan 48909-7741.
Additional updates will be made available on this Web page as the Application review progresses.
- 2016 Application Forms
- Attachment A.1 General Facility Description
- Attachment A.2 Chemical and Physical Analyses
- Attachment A.3 Waste Analysis Plan
- Attachment A.4 Security Procedures and Equipment
- Attachment A.5 Inspection Schedule
- Attachment A.6 Preparedness and Prevention or Waiver
- Contingency Plan
- Traffic Information
- Attachment A.9 Location Information
- Attachment A.10 Personnel Training Program
- Attachment A.11 Closure Plan
- Attachment A.12 Closure Cost Estimate
- Attachment A.13 Topographic Map
- Attachment A.14 Liability Mechanism
- Attachment A.15 Financial Assurance Instrument
- Attachment B.1 Status of Compliance with other Federal Laws
- Attachment B.2 Corrective Action Information
- Hydrogeological Report (**Note - Drawings are too large to post - contact Kimberly Tyson if you need a copy of these files)
- 2000 Southeast Container Storage Area (SECSA) Hydrogeologic Report
- 1983 Groundwater Protection - Hazardous Waste Management Area
- 1983 NTH Drawing 1
- 1983 NTH Drawing 2
- 1983 NTH Drawing 3
- 1983 NTH Drawing 4
- 1983 NTH Drawing 5
- Attachment B.4 Environmental Assessment
- Attachment B.5 Environmental Monitoring Programs
- Attachment B.6 Engineering Plans
- Attachment B.7 Proof of Issuance of Other Permits or Licenses
- Attachment B.8 Capability Certification
- Attachment C.1 Containers
- Attachment C.2 Tanks
- Attachment C.4 Treatment
- Attachment C.11 Air Emissions