Part 121 Liquid Industrial By-Products (formerly Liquid Industrial Waste) Reporting

Contact: Jeanette Noechel 586-494-5091
Agency: Environmental Quality

As of March 2016, as a result of a change in the law, facilities receiving liquid industrial by-product from off-site via public roadway must report their liquid industrial by-product activities to the DEQ.  Liquid industrial by-product receiving facilities, also called “liquid industrial by-products designated facilities,” must submit an annual report detailing their liquid industrial by-product activities occurring from January 1st to December 31st in the prior year by April 30th each year.  Examples of materials that are typically subject to regulation as liquid industrial by-product include:

  • catch basin, sanitary sewer, or storm sewer clean-out waste
  • food processing wastewaters
  • used oil
  • brine        
  • animal and vegetable fats
  • liquids exempted from hazardous waste regulation like fuels being recycled
  • universal waste liquids like pharmaceuticals and antifreeze

For the 2017 reporting year, designated facilities are to use the EQP1602 Form for meeting their 2017 liquid industrial by-product designated facility reporting obligations. Once the form is completed, it must be e-mailed to or mailed to:

Data Management and Tracking Unit
PO Box 30241
Lansing, MI 48909-7741

Upon receipt, the DEQ will send acknowledgment via e-mail that the report was received.

For questions about liquid industrial by-product reporting, obtaining or updating a Site Identification Number, or other liquid industrial by-product requirements, please contact your local hazardous waste and liquid industrial by-product inspector listed below.

Part 121 Covered Dumpster

For questions about how to determine if a waste is subject to hazardous waste, liquid industrial by-product,  or solid waste regulation, consider viewing the recorded Waste Characterization and Generator Status recorded webinar after printing the webinar notes or reviewing the Michigan Guide to Environmental Health and Safety Regulations, Chapter 2.

Cadillac District and Gaylord Field Office - Alcona, Alpena, Antrim, Benzie, Charlevoix, Cheboygan, Crawford, Emmet, Grand Traverse, Kalkaska, Lake, Leelanau, Manistee, Mason, Missaukee, Montmorency, Osceola, Oscoda, Otsego, Presque Isle, Roscommon, and Wexford counties

  • Jenny Bennett: 231-429-1413

Grand Rapids District Office - Barry, Ionia, Kent, Mecosta, Montcalm, Muskegon, Newaygo, Oceana, and Ottawa counties

  • Reed Sneller: 616-356-0232
  • Wade O'Boyle: 616-260-7901

Jackson District Office - Hillsdale, Jackson, Lenawee, Monroe, and Washtenaw counties

  • Tim Sonnenberg: 517-614-7728

Kalamazoo District Office - Allegan, Berrien, Branch, Calhoun, Cass, Kalamazoo, St. Joseph, and Van Buren counties

  • Kirsten Clemens: 269-370-8527

Lansing District Office - Clinton, Eaton, Genesee, Gratiot, Ingham, Lapeer, Livingston, and Shiawassee counties

  • Bryan Grochowski: 517-614-7448
  • Jill Coulter: 517-243-1680

Saginaw Bay District Office -  Arenac, Bay, Clare, Gladwin, Huron, Iosco, Isabella, Midland, Ogemaw, Saginaw, Sanilac, and Tuscola counties

  • Trisha Confer: 989-225-7968

Southeast Michigan District Office -  Macomb, Oakland, St. Clair, and Wayne counties

  • Mike Busse: 586-753-3839
  • Mark Daniels: 586-753-3841
  • Jim Day: 586-494-5093
  • Jeanette Noechel: 586-494-5091

Upper Peninsula District Office - Alger, Baraga, Chippewa, Delta, Dickinson, Gogebic, Houghton, Iron, Keweenaw, Luce, Mackinac, Marquette, Menominee, Ontonagon, and Schoolcraft counties

  • MaryAnn St. Antoine: 989-370-8035