Municipal Program / MS4 Compliance AssistanceContact: Christe Alwin 517-420-1501
The goal of the MS4 program is to reduce the discharge of pollutants to surface waters of the State. An MS4 is a system of drainage (including roads, storm drains, pipes, and ditches, etc.) that is not a combined sewer or part of a sewage treatment plant. During wet weather, pollutants are transported through MS4s to local water bodies.
Who to contact by area: MS4 Program Staff Assignments
Storm water discharges from a regulated MS4 to a surface water of the State in an urbanized area are subject to regulation under the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System. MS4 permittees generally include the following municipal entities: cities, townships, villages, county agencies, universities, and school districts. The Department completed maps to identify MS4s located in an urbanized area that may require coverage under an MS4 permit. The current general MS4 permits are available below.
Who may be regulated: Urbanized Area Maps
How to view permits on public notice: MiWaters Public Notice
Permit Application Reference Forms
How to complete an MS4 permit application: MS4 Application Workshop Presentation
Compliance Assistance Documents
The following documents are available to assist with developing and implementing a Storm Water Management Program (SWMP) as part of the MS4 program.
- Post-Construction Storm Water Runoff Controls Programs (Updated)
- Illicit Discharge Elimination Program Compliance Assistance Document (Updated)
- Catch Basin Cleaning Activities
- Potential Adverse Impacts of Alternative Deicers
- Wastewater Discharge from Mobile Power Washing
Compliance Assistance Documents were developed to assist permittees with other areas of developing and implementing a SWMP. These documents are intended to assist with general MS4 program compliance. If you have questions about these documents and how they relate to compliance with an MS4 permit, please contact MS4 Program Staff.
MS4 Implementation Team
The Department created an MS4 Implementation Team to provide a forum for MS4 permittees to raise concerns and issues, assist with the development of compliance assistance documents and share innovative and alternative implementation approaches relating to the MS4 program.
More information is available on the MS4 Implementation Team website
Storm Water Resources
- EPA's National Stormwater Calculator
- MDEQ Best Management Practices Manual (Updated)
- Low Impact Development Manual for Michigan
- Information and Education Publications, Including Be Stormwater Savvy
- Part 5 Rules - Spillage of Oil and Polluting Materials
- National Menu of Storm Water Best Management Practices
- Coal Tar Sealcoat Reduction and Alternatives