Skip Navigation
Michigan Department of Human, Official Website for the State of Michigan Home
close print view
We recently adopted a child but have not yet received a birth certificate in our child's name. How do we apply for a certificate in the adoptive name?
At the time the adoption was finalized, the original birth certificate (the certificate issued in the birth name of the child), is sealed and an amended birth certificate is issued in the adoptive name. Generally, the court or agency provides you with a copy of the amended birth certificate. If this did not occur, you may wish to contact the court or agency that handled the adoption to request information as to how you may now receive an amended birth certificate.

FAQ Categories
 •  General Questions
 •  Adoption
 •  Child Care Fund: General
 •  Child Care Fund: Monitoring Changes
 •  Complaints
 •  Customer Resources
 •  Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT)
 •  Emergency Needs
 •  Equal Opportunity
 •  Family Independence Program (FIP)
 •  Foster Care
 •  Foster Care Age 18-21
 •  Home Heating Credit - Department of Treasury
 •  Legislative Services - Top Constituent Questions Answered
 •  Native American Affairs
 •  Safe Delivery
 •  State Disability Assistance (SDA)
 •  Weatherization
QR code Home
PoliciesMichigan Survey

Copyright © 2014 State of Michigan