Skip Navigation
Michigan Department of Human, Official Website for the State of Michigan Home
close print view
I am a former family member and I don't know where the adoption took place, how do I get this information?
Former family members may wish to contact the court where the former mother's parental rights were terminated to ask if their records hold any information that might identify the court or agency where the child was placed.  With that information then, the former family could make a request of the court or agency. It is not uncommon for former family members to contact a number of courts within a given area in the state to request if they hold the adoption record. Generally, the court that would hold the record of adoption is the Family Division of Circuit Court (formerly the probate court).

If you believe the adoption occurred in another state, you may wish to contact that state.  Some individuals will also register on the International Soundex Reunion Registry.

FAQ Categories
 •  General Questions
 •  Adoption
 •  Child Care Fund: General
 •  Child Care Fund: Monitoring Changes
 •  Complaints
 •  Customer Resources
 •  Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT)
 •  Emergency Needs
 •  Equal Opportunity
 •  Family Independence Program (FIP)
 •  Foster Care
 •  Foster Care Age 18-21
 •  Home Heating Credit - Department of Treasury
 •  Legislative Services - Top Constituent Questions Answered
 •  Native American Affairs
 •  Safe Delivery
 •  State Disability Assistance (SDA)
 •  Weatherization
QR code Home
PoliciesMichigan Survey

Copyright © 2014 State of Michigan