Skip Navigation
Michigan Department of Human, Official Website for the State of Michigan Home
close print view
  Foster Care
How do I become licensed?
Contact your local Department of Human Services or a private child-placing agency in your area. The foster care supervisor will explain what you need to do to become licensed. You can be either married or single and can either work or stay at home. You will be required to attend training, agree to submit medical statements for your family, agree to be interviewed in your home, agree to have a criminal background check done, and provide letters of recommendation. The entire process takes between three and six months.

FAQ Categories
 •  General Questions
 •  Adoption
 •  Child Care Fund: General
 •  Child Care Fund: Monitoring Changes
 •  Complaints
 •  Customer Resources
 •  Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT)
 •  Emergency Needs
 •  Equal Opportunity
 •  Family Independence Program (FIP)
 •  Foster Care
 •  Foster Care Age 18-21
 •  Home Heating Credit - Department of Treasury
 •  Legislative Services - Top Constituent Questions Answered
 •  Native American Affairs
 •  Safe Delivery
 •  State Disability Assistance (SDA)
 •  Weatherization
QR code Home
PoliciesMichigan Survey

Copyright © 2014 State of Michigan