Burton: One of Four Michigan Cities to Host Securing Mi Financial Future Events
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: September 28, 2016
Events planned for October 5, 2016
(LANSING) The Michigan Department of Insurance and Financial Services (DIFS) is partnering to bring Burton residents free, non-commercial financial education programs. Topics will include: spending, saving, credit, home ownership, protecting your assets and your family, and planning for and enjoying retirement, among others. The program is completely free. There is no fee to attend, the information provided is free, and the program is completely free from sales pitches.
“This is an opportunity for residents to find trusted, non-commercial financial information and resources in one location,” said DIFS Director Patrick McPharlin. “DIFS is committed to providing financial planning tools, information, and guidance to help them navigate their financial challenges.”
Join experts on October 5, 2016 for a morning or evening on spending, saving, credit, debt, home ownership, financial scams, pre- and post- retirement planning and more!
- Reinventing Mi Retirement (especially relevant for ages 50+) will be held from 8:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. at ELGA Credit Union, 2305 S. Center Rd., Burton, MI 48519 – Featuring Keynote Speaker: Aisha Taylor author of “5+5 FNPhenomenal Ways to Save $100 This Week Without Killing Your Lifestyle: A Modern Girl's Guide to Being Phenomenal + Financially Free”
- Building Mi Financial Future, open to all, will be held from 5:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. at ELGA Credit Union, 2305 S. Center Rd., Burton, MI 48519 – Featuring Keynote Speaker: Dorethia Kelly author of #MoneyChat Real Talk about All Things Money and Business.
Register today at www.MI.gov/SMFF or by calling 877-999-6442. More FREE events taking place in Muskegon, Livonia, and East Lansing throughout the month of October.
More event highlights:
- All events are open to any interested consumer and will include resources, refreshments and optional 1-on-1 personal finance “QuickCheck” with a vetted financial expert (pre-registration required);
- Informative workshops that dive into some of today’s most important financial topics;
- Access to subject matter experts and special guest speakers; and,
- Free copy of the Reinventing Mi Retirement and Building Mi Financial Future toolkits.
Until October, check out the “My Money and Me” video series. This series brings useful instruction on how to develop a more responsible and productive relationship with your money. You’ll use easy-to-follow worksheets that will help you identify and work through your money-related issues.
The Securing Mi Financial Future program is made possible through generous support from Michigan Credit Union League and Affiliates, AARP, Michigan Association of CPAs, Michigan State University Federal Credit Union, Chemical Bank, Community Bankers of Michigan, ELGA Credit Union and more.