Filing a Complaint with DIFS
The Office of Consumer Services within the Michigan Department of Insurance and Financial Services (DIFS) is here to help you. We are here to provide consumer information and investigate consumer complaints against insurance, banking, credit union, mortgage and other consumer financial products. We work to respond promptly and completely to consumers’ insurance and financial questions and complaints, assist consumers in resolving those complaints whenever possible, and help consumers understand their options.
We encourage consumers to first attempt to resolve disputes directly with their insurance and/or financial service entity. If a resolution cannot be reached, our office can help try to resolve your dispute.
Online or Mail
Below are the types of complaints that can be filed online using the button above. If you choose to mail or fax, then select the appropriate form below.
- Insurance Complaint Form
- Health Insurance Complaint Form
- Financial Institution or Consumer Lender Complaint Form
(For complaints about a mortgage, credit card, debt management, money transfer, payday lending, or personal loan.)
- Bank Complaint Form
- Credit Union Complaint Form
Below are the types of complaints that can only be filed by mail.
- Insurance Business-to-Business Complaint Guide (FIS 0045)
- Health Insurance and HMO Grievance Procedure - Request for External Review Form (FIS 0018)
- Medicaid Provider Clean Claim Report (FIS 0278)
- Non-Medicaid Provider Clean Claim Report (FIS 0284)
- Proof of Claim Against a Mortgage Company Bond (FIS 0033)