Insurance Pre-licensing Education Exclusions and Waivers FAQ
- Am I eligible for a waiver of Pre-licensing Education (PE) if I hold a professional designation in insurance?
Yes. A waiver of the Pre-licensing Education (PE) requirement may be granted for individuals holding the professional designations listed below and for the line of authority shown. For example, CFP will waive only the Life examination.
Wavier Examples Life Examinations A & H Examinations P & C Examinations CEBS RHU AAI ChFC CEBS ARM CIC REBC CIC CFP HIA CPCU CLU FLMI LUTCF
- What documentation should I submit to request a waiver of PE if I hold a qualified professional designation?
You should submit a letter requesting the waiver, and provide your date of birth and the last 4 digits of your SSN. Include a copy of the professional designation certificate or a letter confirming the possession of a professional designation.
- Am I eligible for a waiver of PE if I have a college degree with a concentration in insurance?
Yes. Individuals must possess a concentration of 21 term credits or 17 semester credit hours of insurance course work from an accredited college.
A concentration in Risk Management or Property or Casualty course work is required to waive the PE requirement for a Property and/or Casualty licensing exam.
A concentration in Life and Health or related Estate Planning course work is required to waive the PE requirement for a Life and/or Accident and Health licensing exam.
- What documentation should I submit to request a waiver of PE if I have the appropriate college credits?
You must submit a letter requesting the waiver, and include your date of birth and the last 4 digits of your SSN. You are required to include copies of your college transcript and course descriptions.
- From whom do I request a waiver of PE?
Send all required documents and a letter to:
Pre-licensing Education Waiver Request
PO Box 30220
Lansing, MI 48909
The letter should contain the request for a PE waiver and your contact information, including your name, mailing address, telephone number, email address, date of birth, and the last 4 digits of your SSN. Please contact our office at 877-999-6442 if you have additional questions.
- When I receive the waiver, do I take it to the test center on exam day?
No. The waiver should be kept for your records. DIFS staff will add PE Waiver information to your record in our database.
- Are candidates required to complete PE for all Michigan insurance exam types?
Candidates are not required to complete PE if they are obtaining a license for Limited Lines P & C, Title, Adjuster, Counselor, or Surplus Lines.
Candidates who are obtaining a license for Limited Line Credit Insurance are not required to complete a State-approved PE program. However, the insurer must provide a program of instruction to each individual whose duties will include selling, soliciting or negotiating limited line credit insurance.
- Are study materials available for Michigan insurance examinations?
Our office has entered into a partnership with PSI Services LLC (PSI) to administer insurance licensing examinations. In addition, PSI publishes the content outlines for all Michigan licensing examinations on their website at PSI Exams Online. Content outlines indicate the examination time limit, subject area and the number of items in each area.
- Are study materials available for Michigan insurance examinations that do not require PE?
Following is a link to a list of providers that offer study material for license types not requiring PE. Please note this list does not include all PE providers or material for examinations without the PE requirement:
The answers provided are not meant to be a substitute for legal advice.