Section 1206(5) of the Michigan Insurance Code, MCL 500.1206(5), requires licensees to notify the Director of a change of legal name within 30 days of the change.
Individual licensees should submit a signed, dated statement requesting an updated name. The statement should include:
- The name as it currently appears on the license
- The 7-digit Michigan System ID number or the National Producer Number
- The name as it should appear on the updated license
The request must include a copy of one of the following items as legal proof of the name change:
- Driver’s license
- Marriage certificate
- Divorce decree
- Social Security card
The statement and documentation may be attached to an email and sent to DIFS-Licensing@michigan.gov or sent via fax to 517-284-8836.
Business Entities (Agencies)
Effective December 1, 2016, business entities (agencies) must use the DIFS Insurance Licensing Online Services (ILOS) website to update agency information, including:
- Agency name
- Assumed Names/dba’s
- DRLP and Affiliate information
- Branch Office Registration
- Mailing and business addresses
- Phone and fax numbers
- Email address for agency contact person
- Website address
If the agency has obtained a new Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN), the agency must submit a new application via the NIPR website at www.nipr.com.
A new license is automatically sent to the licensee or agency when a name change is processed. No fees are charged for processing a name change.