close print view
About the D. J. Jacobetti Home
In 1885, the Veterans Facility of Michigan was established by the State of Michigan to provide residential and later health care programs for veterans who were unable to care for themselves. A veteran who had served in the Armed Forces at least 90 days during a wartime period (as defined by law) was eligible for admission. Currently all veterans who served 90 days from December 7, 1941 to the present are eligible for admission. Spouses and parents of eligible veterans also may be admitted. The first veterans facility is located in Grand Rapids.
In the mid 1970's it became one of the top legislative priorities of veterans organizations and citizens in Northern Michigan to establish another veterans facility to be located in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. In 1977, the legislature passed Public Act 107 of 1977. This act authorized a special study committee composed of representatives of the Legislature, Board of Managers, Veterans Organizations of the Upper Peninsula and the Department of Public Health, to conduct a feasibility study for the establishment of a Michigan veterans facility in the Upper Peninsula. Findings revealed that a veterans facility in the Upper Peninsula was appropriate, and that Marquette was the most appropriate site.
The State of Michigan was faced with the decision to build a new facility or to purchase a building formerly known as St. Mary's Hospital. After consideration of all factors, the decision was made to purchase St. Mary's Hospital from Marquette General Hospital, Inc. The building was purchased on May 15, 1979.
On July 1, 1981, House Concurrent Resolution No. 235 was adopted naming the facility the "Dominic J. Jacobetti Veterans Facility", as an honor to Dominic J. Jacobetti, the long-standing chairman of the House of Appropriations Committee and advocate for Michigan Veterans.
On May 27, 1986, the Home opened one of Michigan's first nursing units designed specifically for the care of Veterans suffering from Alzheimer's disease and related disorders.
In 1991, the Executive Reorganization Act 1991-7, transferred both the Grand Rapids and Marquette Veterans Homes from the Department of Public Health to the Department of Military Affairs.
The D.J. Jacobetti Home for Veterans opened a new 50-bed wing in 1992.
On October 25, 1995, the Home received its first Certificate of Licensure from the Michigan Department of Public Health.
In 1997, the Department of Military Affairs was renamed the Department of Military and Veterans Affairs.
The D.J. Jacobetti Home for Veterans provides two levels of care - domiciliary and nursing. In addition, other services, such as spiritual, medical, social, recreational and educational are provided. All services are supported from individual members, Federal subsidies and appropriations by the State of Michigan.
Provide compassionate quality interdisciplinary care for the members to achieve their highest potential of independence, self worth, wellness and dignity.
Provide an environment that promotes meaningful quality of life by being a center of excellence in long term care.
Strive to exceed our customer's expectations. Treat everyone with compassion, dignity and respect. Each member, family, significant other, and staff services are valued as important resources. Recognize and honor all service to our country by the military, veterans and individuals.
Michigan.gov Home DMVA Home Site FAQ DMVA Jobs FOIA Contact DMVA Office of Regulatory Reinvention Spending & Accountability
Copyright © 2001-2013 State of Michigan