Ronald D. McDonald, 1959-1965
Ronald D. McDonald served as the Adjutant General for the State of Michigan from 1959 to 1965.
Born September 10, 1910, in Hibbing, Minn., McDonald graduated from Lansing, Mich., Central High School. He began his military career as an enlisted soldier in the 119th Field Artillery, Lansing, Mich. In 1933, he received his initial commission after graduating from Michigan State University and the Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC).
McDonald served as a battery officer and battalion headquarters staff officer with the 119th Field Artillery. He also served on staff with the 72nd Field Artillery Brigade.
During World War II, he served successively as acting regimental commander of the 260th Field Artillery, as an artillery battalion commander, and as executive officer of the Alaskan Department G2 section. In the Southwest Pacific, he served as an observer and special representative on the staff of General Douglas MacArthur. McDonald received the American Defense Ribbon, American Theater Ribbon, Asiatic-Pacific Theater Ribbon with Arrowhead, the V-Medal, and the Commendation Ribbon with oak leaf cluster for his World War II service.
Assigned to the newly formed 46th Infantry Division in 1947, McDonald served on the division staff as operations and training and intelligence officer. He was promoted to Chief of Staff of the division in August 1956.
In October 1957, McDonald was named Quartermaster General for the Michigan National Guard and promoted to Brigadier General.
Gov. G. Mennen Williams appointed McDonald the 25th Adjutant General of Michigan on May 1, 1959 and was subsequently promoted to Major General.
Maj. Gen. McDonald is a graduate of many armed forces schools, including the Army War College, Command and General Staff College, and the Artillery School.