DNR Shooting Ranges
-Holiday Closure Information
The Department of Natural Resources will close its Ortonville, Pontiac Lake, Rose Lake and Sharonville shooting ranges for the Christmas and New Year’s holidays on the following dates:
- Saturday, Dec. 24 and Sunday, Dec. 25, reopening on Dec. 26
- Saturday, Dec. 31 and Sunday, Jan. 1, reopening on Jan. 2
-The Dansville shooting range will be open through Dec. 18 and then will close for the season. It will reopen mid-April, weather permitting.
-Leave the spotting scope at home but bring your smartphone!
The DNR is introducing bullseye camera systems at its Dansville, Ortonville, Pontiac Lake, Sharonville and Rose Lake shooting ranges. These cameras will give shooters the ability to track their shots right from their smartphones. With a free app downloaded to your device and a Wi-Fi connection to the camera, your smartphone, tablet or laptop is now your new spotting scope. Check out the demo video at www.bullseyecamera.com.
-We've added links to download printable targets before you go out to sight-in your gun.
- Bald Mountain Shooting Range
- Dansville Shooting Range
- Island Lake Shooting Range
- Ortonville Shooting Range
- Pontiac Lake Shooting Range
- Rose Lake Shooting Range
- Sharonville Shooting Range
- Search for a Shooting Range
- Join a DNR Shooting Range E-mail List Stay informed about what's going on at the DNR's shooting ranges - Dansville, Ortonville, Pontiac Lake, Rose Lake and Sharonville - by joining one of our e-mail lists.
- What are the Shotgun Sports?
For descriptions of the various shotgun sports (Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays, 5-Stand, and Crazy Quail) follow the link above.
Video: Quartering Targets With Pat Lieske.
Video: Pat Lieske's Systematic Approach to Sporting Clays.
How to Get Started
-Identify where the closest ranges or shooting clubs are located and who to contact for more information.
-Purchase eye protection and ear plugs for personal safety.
-Bring clay targets, hand throwers or portable traps if the local range does not provide them.
-The National Shooting Sports Foundation's Pull the Trigger monthly newsletter has tips for today's gun owners. It features handgun, rifle and shotgun skills, drills and gun maintenance tips from experts. View current and past issues.
- 4-H Shooting Sports in Michigan
- Archery 360 Website (for teens and young adults new to archery and bowhunting)
- DNR Archery in the Schools
- DNR Everything Crossbow
- DNR Explore Bowhunting
- DNR Recreational Archery Program
- Firearm Safety Videos
- Girl's Guide to Guns
- Long Distance Shooting Ranges
- Rules for shooting ranges on state-owned lands
- Scholastic Shooting Sports Foundation
- Short Distance Shooting Ranges
- USA Shooting
- Youth Shooting Sports Alliance