DNR Shooting Ranges
The Sharonville trap range will be closed on Sunday, October 12, for brush clearing work. The rest of the range will be open.
We've added links to download printable targets before you go out to sight-in your gun. Go to the Next Steps section below and click on Print Targets.
The modern restrooms at the Ortonville and Pontiac Lake shooting ranges are now completed and open for shooters! We expect the work to be completed soon at the Sharonville range.Learn about the DNR handgun ranges
Dansville Shooting Range closed for renovations
- Bald Mountain Shooting Range
- Island Lake Shooting Range
- Ortonville Shooting Range
- Pontiac Lake Shooting Range
- Rose Lake Shooting Range
- Sharonville Shooting Range
- Search for a Shooting Range
- Join a DNR Shooting Range E-mail ListStay informed about what's going on at the DNR's shooting ranges - Ortonville, Pontiac Lake, Rose Lake and Sharonville - by joining one of our e-mail lists.
- What are the Shotgun Sports?For descriptions of the various shotgun sports (Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays, 5-Stand, and Crazy Quail) follow the link above.
- Bald Mountain/Island Lake Shooting Range Instructor Featured in National MagazineWorld-class shooter and All-American sporting clays competitor Pat Lieske - who operates the Bald Mountain and Island Lake shooting ranges and offers shooting instruction at the ranges - was featured in the March 2013 issue of Sporting Clays magazine. Lieske finished in second place overall for the silver medal at the 2012 World Sporting Clays Championship. Follow the link above to the Sporting Clays article, or visit www.mishoot.com to learn more about shooting instruction at Bald Mountain and Island Lake.
How to Get Started
- -Identify where the closest ranges or shooting clubs are located and who to contact for more information.
-Purchase eye protection and ear plugs for personal safety.
-Bring clay targets, hand throwers or portable traps if the local range does not provide them.
-The National Shooting Sports Federation's Pull the Trigger monthly newsletter has tips for today's gun owners. It features handgun, rifle and shotgun skills, drills and gun maintenance tips from experts. View current and past issues.
- 2010 Michigan Shooting Range Survey Results
- 4-H Shooting Sports in Michigan
- Archery 360 Website (for teens and young adults new to archery and bowhunting)
- DNR Archery in the Schools
- DNR Everything Crossbow
- DNR Explore Bowhunting
- DNR Recreational Archery Program
- Firearm Safety Videos
- Long Distance Shooting Ranges
- Scholastic Shooting Sports Foundation
- Short Distance Shooting Ranges
- USA Shooting
- Youth Shooting Sports Alliance