Identifying and Finding Michigan Fishes (Michigan Fishes Atlas)
This website provides access to an electronic version of the distribution maps and scientific illustrations of species from An Atlas of Michigan Fishes with Keys and Illustrations for their Identification.
The print document, Miscellaneous Publication 192, includes substantial amounts of additional information and is available for purchase through the University of Michigan, Museum of Zoology.
The atlas is a synthesis of over 174,500 sampling records from:
- Michigan Department of Natural Resources (~63,000 records dating from 1923);
- University of Michigan, Museum of Zoology (~35,000 records dating from 1874);
- United States Geological Survey, Great Lakes Science Center (~34,000 records dating from 1958);
- United States Fish and Wildlife Service (~33,000 records dating from 1947);
- Michigan Rivers Inventory (~8,000 records dating from 1937);
- University of Michigan, Center for Great Lakes and Aquatic Science (~1,400 records dating from 1982; and
- Miscellaneous sources (~600 records dating from 1923).
Below is the fish species list in taxonomic order; click on the common name to view the distribution map; click on the scientific name to view an illustration of that species.
Electronic maps and illustrations:
Bailey, R. M., W. C. Latta, and G. R. Smith. 2004. An atlas of Michigan fishes with keys and illustrations for their identification. Available: webpage URL. (access month and year).
Bailey, R. M., W. C. Latta, and G. R. Smith. 2004. An atlas of Michigan fishes with keys and illustrations for their identification. Museum of Zoology, University of Michigan, Miscellaneous Publications No. 192. Ann Arbor.