Hook, Line and Sinker: Learn to fish with the DNR
Have you ever wanted to learn to fish? Join the DNR for "Hook, Line and Sinker", a weekly fishing program conducted by our staff at over 30 state parks and fish hatcheries in Michigan.
We'll teach you casting and fishing basics, and we can provide a rod and reel to use if you don't have your own equipment. Hook, Line and Sinker programs begin in mid-June and continue throughout the summer.
Participants under 17 do not need a fishing license. Programs are FREE; however, a Recreation Passport is required for park entry.
Our experienced, friendly instructors will introduce you to fishing in a relaxed and fun atmosphere. With step-by-step direction, you'll learn fishing basics like knot-tying, setting up your pole, casting, selecting and using bait, and removing fish from the hook. After the 20- to 30-minute lesson, you'll be ready to hit the water and exercise your new skills.
Hook, Line and Sinker is available at the parks listed below. Contact each location for dates and times.
- Bay City Recreation Area, Bay City, 989-667-0717
- Brighton Recreation Area, Brighton, 810-229-6566
- Cedar River State Harbor, Cedar River, 906-864-1040
- Fort Custer Recreation Area, Augusta, 269-731-4200
- Hartwick Pines State Park, Grayling, 989-348-2537
- Hayes State Park, Onsted, 517-467-7401
- Holland State Park, Holland, 616--399-9390
- Holly Recreation Area, Holly, 248-634-8811
- Ionia Recreation Area, Ionia, 616-527-3750
- Ludington State Park, Ludington, 231-843-9261
- Mears State Park, Pentwater, 231-869-2051
- Metamora-Hadley Recreation Area, Metamora, 810-797-4439
- Mitchell State Park, Cadillac, 231-775-7911
- Muskegon State Park, Muskegon, 231-744-3480
- Pinckney Recreation Area, Pinckney, 734-426-4913
- Pontiac Lake Recreation Area, Waterford, 248-666-1020
- Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park, Ontonagon, 906-885-5275
- Port Crescent State Park, Port Austin, 989-738-8663
- Proud Lake Recreation Area, Commerce Twp., 248-685-2433
- Rifle River Recreation Area, Lupton, 989-473-2258
- Sleeper State Park, Caseville, 989-856-4411
- Sleepy Hollow State Park, Laingsburg, 517-651-6217
- South Higgins State Park, Roscommon, 989-821-6374
- Sterling State Park, Monroe, 734-289-2715
- Tawas Point State Park, East Tawas, 989-362-5041
- Waterloo Recreation Area, Chelsea,734-475-3170
- Wells State Park, Cedar River, 906-863-9747
- Wolf Lake Hatchery Visitor Center, Mattawan, 269-668-2876
- Yankee Springs Recreation Area, Middleville, 269-795-9081
- Young State Park, Boyne City, 231-582-7523
For camping reservations, go online or call 800-44-PARKS.