Boat RegistrationThe Michigan Secretary of State provides registration and registration renewals
Boats are numbered according to state and federal regulations. These regulations help protect people from careless boat operators and improperly equipped boats. A Certificate of Number is issued to tell enforcement officers that a boat is properly registered. The numbers must be displayed properly on the boat.
The law requires:
- The figures are to be read from left to right.
- They must be displayed on the forward half of each side of the bow of the boat.
- Numbers must be bold, block letters of good proportion.
- Numbers must not be less than three inches high.
- They must be of contrasting color to the boat hull or background.
- They must be as high above the waterline as practical.
- No number other than the number assigned can be displayed on the forward half of the vessel.
- Letters must be separated from numbers by spaces or hyphens.
- Validation decals must be three inches to the right of the last letter displayed.
- Boat Certificate of Registration must be carried on vessel when being operated.