Equestrian Trails & Recreation
- Subscribe to State Forest Pathways (non-motorized trails) updates from Michigan DNR
- Michigan State Parks and Recreation Areas Provide Plenty of Equestrian RecreationTake your horse camping with you or enjoy a trail ride at a scenic Michigan state park. Stables and rentals are available for those who do not own their own horse.
- Equestrian Trails and Camping in Michigan State Parks and Forest Areas
- Michigan's Shore to Shore Riding/Hiking TrailMichigan's Shore to Shore Riding/Hiking Trail stretches east and west from Lake Huron to Lake Michigan and north an south from Grayling to Mackinac. Maps and camping information are available through the Michigan Trail Riders Association.
- Pigeon River Country Equestrian Riding OpportunitiesThere are over 250 miles of horseback riding opportunities on the state forest road network and 30 miles of the Shore to Shore Riding/Hiking Trail in the Pigeon River Country.
- Draft Review of Horseback Riding Regulations at Lost Nation State Game Area The Department of Natural Resources and Environment is reviewing regulations for horseback riding at the Lost Nation State Game Area. Currently, horseback riding is not allowed on any part of the Lost Nation State Game Area. This review was prompted by legislation passed earlier this year. The department summarized this review for the public at an informational meeting on Jan. 18. Click on the link above for a draft of the review.
- Final Review of Gladwin Field Trial Area Horseback Riding Regulations
- Parking Opportunities for Horseback Riders in Section 3 of the Gladwin Field Trial Area
- Final Review of Lapeer State Game Area Horseback Riding Regulations
- Follow-Up to Public Meeting on Horseback Riding at Lapeer State Game Area - Deeds and Purchase InformationIn response to questions raised at the Nov. 10 meeting at Lapeer State Game Area, the link above provides further information about two large purchases of land at the game area.
Equestrian Chapter: Michigan Comprehensive Trail Plan
- Equestrian Chapter: Michigan Comprehensive Trail Plan The DNR and the Michigan Snowmobile and Trails Advisory Council, are currently finalizing a statewide trail plan to address all forms of recreational trail use. The (DRAFT) Equestrian Chapter of this comprehensive plan was developed with strong participation by the equestrian community.
- AppendixAdditional information referenced in the Equestrian Chapter of the Michigan Comprehensive Trail Plan.