Exploring Michigan's Great Outdoors
- Subscribe to Recreation "How To" (Instructional Programs) updates from Michigan DNR
- Schedule of Nature Programs in Michigan State Parks & Visitor Centers The Michigan Department of Natural Resources (DNR) offers nature programs and special events for families and school groups at 10 visitor centers state wide. Interpretive naturalists and educators cover topics from the wonder of wetlands to sand dune ecology, why we need trees and more! In addition to these interpretive programs, we offer seasonal nature programming in 40 other state park and recreation areas. Find the facility nearest to you and you'll find out what's going on in nature this week!
- Michigan Mammals Week
- State Park Explorer Program Come explore the natural treasures of Michigan's state parks with a state park explorer guide leading the way. These fun, entertaining and informative programs are offered each summer at over 40 of Michigan's state parks and recreation areas.
- Hook, Line and Sinker: Learn to fish with the DNR Whether you have some angling experience or have never picked up a pole, "Hook, Line and Sinker" is a great way for youngsters to spend a summer evening with their friends and family. We supply everything you will need!
- Threatened & Endangered Species Week August 4 -10 This year marks the 40th anniversary of Michigan's Endangered Species Act (ESA), the important legislation that has been critical to the recovery of many different species. The Department of Natural Resources is celebrating this milestone over the next four months by highlighting 18 of Michigan's protected or recovered species. These species will be featured at number of State Park and Recreation areas in August. Find a location near you!
Exploring On Your Own
- Providing fun, safe ways for children and families to connect with our state's natural and cultural resources is what the DNR does every day. Here is a list of some of the opportunities that families and mentors and their matches can participate in to experience Michigan's outdoors.
- DNR and Mentor Michigan The DNR has partnered with Mentor Michigan to provide more outdoor opportunities for mentors and their matches. Just one hour a week can make a big difference in a young person's life. Learn more about mentoring opportunities and organizations in your area. Go to www.michigan.gov/mentormichigan.
- Mentored Youth Hunting Mentored Youth Hunting is the newest hunting opportunity in Michigan. Under this new program, there is no minimum hunting age. Mentored youth hunters are accompanied by an adult mentor who can provide one-on-one guidance in the sport of hunting, allowing for a safe and enjoyable experience. Learn more at www.michigan.gov/mentoredhunting.
- Apprentice Hunting If you want to give hunting a test drive before investing in hunter education, apprentice hunting is for you!