Who Needs to Take a Class?
- Hunter Education Hunter education in Michigan has taught thousands of people safe hunting techniques, firearm handling and hunter ethics. Hunter safety is required if you were born after January 1, 1960 and you want to purchase any Michigan hunting license, or you are planning an out-of-state hunting trip.
- Bowhunter Education The Today's Bowhunter in Michigan online course (International Bow Education Program (IBEP)) is required to purchase archery permits in many other states. The online course can be found at www.bowhunter-ed.com/michigan.
- Trapper Education Courses The purpose of the Trapper Education Program is to help individuals throughout the U.S. acquire the knowledge, skill, attitude and judgment to selectively and responsibly trap furbearing animals. Michigan offers two options for trapper education: traditional classroom and online.
- Boater Safety Course Michigan conservation officers and Michigan county sheriffs encourage all persons operating boats in Michigan to enroll in a boating safety course.
- Snowmobile Safety Course Find out when classes are offered, and who should take a class. An online snowmobile safety course for youth operators is now available at www.snowmobile-ed.com/michigan or www.snowmobilecourse.com/usa/michigan.
- ORV Safety Course Those under 16 years old are required to possess a valid safety training certificate when operating an ORV. Students may attend a traditional classroom ORV course, or an online ORV safety course is now available at www.offroad-ed.com/michigan or www.atvcourse.com/usa/michigan.
Teaching Recreational Safety
- Become a Volunteer Recreational Safety Instructor The goal of the Department of Natural Resources' recreational safety programs is to train knowledgeable, safe and responsible hunters, boaters, snowmobilers and ORV riders. To this end, the DNR strives to recruit the most qualified instructors available and provide them with the materials and training necessary to conduct recreational safety courses. Learn more about becoming a volunteer instructor.