About the Michigan Historical Marker Program
The Michigan Historical Marker Program was established in 1955. The program's first marker was dedicated on October 22, 1955, at Michigan State University in East Lansing. Since then, more than 1,600 state historical markers have been erected, making Michigan's one of the largest privately funded historical marker programs in the nation.
Markers are easy to locate and offer well-documented, easy-to-understand histories. They reflect the importance a community places on its heritage and serve as a prominent reminder of a site's historical significance. Marker dedication ceremonies are times of community celebration that introduce a lasting resource for tourism, education and civic heritage.
The Michigan Historical Commission approves the placement and wording of Michigan Historical Markers. It partners with the Michigan History Foundation for the administration of the program and with the Eastern Michigan University Historic Preservation Program to document and create the text for the markers. Sponsors fund the manufacture of the markers.
In accordance with Public Act 488 of 2002, before a marker application is accepted, the State Historic Preservation Office determines whether the subject matter is eligible for listing in the State Register of Historic Sites. The owners of marked historic resources must follow the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation when making changes to the resource in order to ensure that the historic character will be retained. If the standards are not followed and a loss of historic integrity results, the Michigan Historical Commission may ask for the marker to be removed from its location and returned to the State of Michigan.
Interested in marking a site with a Michigan Historical Marker? Please read more about how to apply for a marker.
Contact the Michigan Historical Commission.