Hook, Line and Sinker: Learn to fish with the DNR
Have you ever wanted to learn how to fish? Here's your chance. Hook, Line and Sinker is a weekly fishing program available at over 30 state parks and fish hatcheries. We'll teach you casting and fishing basics, and can provide you with a rod and reel to use if you don't have your own. With step-by-step direction, you'll learn fishing basics like knot-tying, setting up your pole, casting, selecting and using bait, and removing fish from the hook.
The classes are offered free of charge, and participants under 17 do not need a fishing license.
Below are locations that may offer Hook, Line and Sinker classes. Please note, the links below are for each location's weekly program schedule. Hook, Line and Sinker may not be offered at every location each week. To find upcoming dates and times, please call the location your are interested in. You can look up each of these parks on our Recreation Search website.
- Bay City Recreation Area, Bay City, 989-667-0717
- Brighton Recreation Area, Brighton, 810-229-6566
- Cedar River State Harbor, Cedar River, 906-864-1040
- Hartwick Pines State Park, Grayling, 989-348-2537
- Hayes State Park, Onsted, 517-467-7401
- Holland State Park, Holland, 616--399-9390
- Holly Recreation Area, Holly, 248-634-8811
- Ionia Recreation Area, Ionia, 616-527-3750
- Island Lake Recreation Area, Brighton, 810-229-7067
- Ludington State Park, Ludington, 231-843-9261
- Mears State Park, Pentwater, 231-869-2051
- Metamora-Hadley Recreation Area, Metamora, 810-797-4439
- Milliken State Park, Detroit, 313-396-0217
- Mitchell State Park, Cadillac, 231-775-7911
- Muskegon State Park, Muskegon, 231-744-3480
- Pinckney Recreation Area, Pinckney, 734-426-4913
- Pontiac Lake Recreation Area, Waterford, 248-666-1020
- Port Crescent State Park, Port Austin, 989-738-8663
- Proud Lake Recreation Area, Commerce Twp., 248-685-2433
- Rifle River Recreation Area, Lupton, 989-473-2258
- Sleeper State Park, Caseville, 989-856-4411
- Sleepy Hollow State Park, Laingsburg, 517-651-6217
- South Higgins State Park, Roscommon, 989-821-6374
- Sterling State Park, Monroe, 734-289-2715
- Tawas Point State Park, East Tawas, 989-362-5041
- Waterloo Recreation Area, Chelsea,734-475-3170
- Wells State Park, Cedar River, 906-863-9747
- Wolf Lake Hatchery Visitor Center, Mattawan, 269-668-2876
- Yankee Springs Recreation Area, Middleville, 269-795-9081
- Young State Park, Boyne City, 231-582-7523
For camping reservations, visit www.midnrreservations.com or call 800-44-PARKS (800-447-2757).
Hands-on lessons on recreational activities like fishing, archery, kayaking and more are also available through the DNR's Recreation 101 program. Visit www.michigan.gov/rec101 to learn more.