Camping modification and cancellation policy
Modification and cancellation policy for reservations beginning Nov. 1, 2017
In an effort to make it easier for campers to secure reservations in Michigan state parks, the DNR put a new policy in place Nov. 1, 2017 that encourages people to firm up their reservations further in advance of their planned camping dates. Customers may change or cancel a reservation through the reservation call center or online with a registered account. The reservation fee is non-refundable and additional cancellation fees will apply.
- After the date a reservation is created, campsite reservations cannot be cancelled or modified more than 5 months prior to the arrival date.
- Prior to establishing a camp, if a customer chooses to cancel before their arrival date, on or after their arrival date or modify by shortening their stay, the following fees will be assessed:
- $10 cancel/modification fee
- Percentage of eligible unused camp night fees, based on number of months the reservation has been held (see chart below)
- If cancelled or modified prior to the reservation arrival date, all unused camp nights will be eligible in the refund formula.
- If cancelled on the day of arrival or later, the first night’s fee and the total cost of any additional nights passed are forfeited; any remaining unused nights are eligible for a refund using the formula.
How long reservation held: % charged of unused nights up to 2 months 10% 2 to 3 months 15% 3 to 4 months 20% 4 to 5 months 30% 5 months or greater 40%
- Reservations that are cancelled on the same day they are created will be assessed the $10 cancel/modification fee
- Modifications to reservations that do not affect the length of stay, will only be assessed the $10 cancel/modification fee.
- Modifications to reservations that results in an increase in the length of stay, will NOT be charged a cancel/modification fee.
- Reservations are held until 3pm, two days after your scheduled arrival date. If arriving after 3pm two days after your scheduled arrival date, you must modify the reservation to delay the arrival date or cancel the reservation. Failure to do so will result in a no-show, loss of 2 night’s fees and a percentage value of unused nights using the cancellation/modification refund formula.
Reducing number of nights after a camp is established at the park
- Once a camp has been checked in at the park, if a customer chooses to reduce their stay or check out early, any refund due will be calculated as follows:
- Percentage of unused camp night fees, based on number of months the reservation has been held (See Refund Formula Chart).
- Time of day customer is checking out:
- If before 1PM, that night’s camp fees will be included in the refund formula
- If after 1PM, that night’s camp fees will NOT be included in the refund formula
Modification and cancellation policy for reservations made before Oct. 31, 2017
- The original reservation fee is non-refundable.
- Changes and cancellations cannot be made more than 5 months in advance of arrival date.
- Cancellations made any time after processing this reservation until the close of business the day before your scheduled arrival date will incur a $10 cancellation fee.If you cancel on your day of arrival or later, you pay a $10 cancellation fee and forfeit the first night’s camping fee as well as the fee for each night that has passed.
- Reservations are held until 3 p.m. two days after your scheduled arrival date. If arriving after 3 p.m. two days after your scheduled arrival date, you must modify the reservation to delay the arrival date or cancel the reservation. Penalties will apply. Failure to do so will be considered a no-show with the loss of 2 night’s fees.
- Changes to this reservation prior to your day of arrival (i.e. change of dates or change sites within the same park) will incur a $10 modification fee.