What can boaters do?
ESD is preventable and boaters are a large part of the solution. The following tips will help alleviate electrical currents entering the water:
- Have a qualified marine electrician:
- Install an Equipment Leakage Circuit Interrupter (ELCI) on your boat or use a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) in the shore power cord.
- Perform an annual inspection of your boat’s electrical system.
- Test GFCI and ELCI protection as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Use power cords that are in good condition and properly rated. Do not use common household extension cords.