Road Inventory Project
Public Act 288 Background
This public act was signed by Gov. Rick Snyder on Sept. 28, 2016, and changes rules for:
- Off road vehicle (ORV) use on state forest roads
- Use of ORVs by hunters for the retrieval of big game animals on all state-owned lands open to hunting including game areas, wildlife areas, state parks and state recreation areas
- Use of pack and saddle animals for the retrieval of big game animals
In addition to these changes, PA 288 also requires us to inventory and map all state forest roads. This process will be complete:
- In the northern Lower Peninsula by Dec. 31, 2017
- In the Upper Peninsula by Dec. 31, 2018
- In the southern Lower Peninsula by Dec. 31, 2018
Thousands of miles of forest roads will be opened for ORV use in the northern Lower Peninsula following the inventory and mapping, but they are not open yet. At the end of 2017, maps will be published online to let you know which forest roads are open for use and which ones are not. These maps will be updated every year.
We need your input!
We have completed the inventory and we are working to decide which state forest roads will be open for ORV use and which will remain closed. Tell us what you think online, in person or by mail.
Provide comments online
Attend public meetings
Come to these public meetings to learn more about the process and provide comments:
- Monday, June 19, 5:30-7:30 p.m.
Quality Inn, 2980 Cook Rd., West Branch
- Tuesday, June 20, 5:30-7:30 p.m.
Carl T. Johnson Hunting and Fishing Center, 6087 M-115, Cadillac
- Wednesday, June 21, 5:30-7:30 p.m.
Jay’s Sporting Goods, 1151 S. Otsego Ave., Gaylord
You can also email us a comment at DNR-RoadInventoryProject@michigan.gov or send in your comments by mail to:
DNR Roads Inventory Project
P.O. Box 456
Vanderbilt, MI 49795
The comment period will close July 15, 2017.