Skip Navigation
DNR - Department of Natural Resources | DNR Department of Natural Resources | DNR
Department of Natural Resources | DNR
close print view
Printer Friendly Page
Email this Page
Share this Link on Facebook
Tweet this page on Twitter!

Camping 101

First Time Campers Program, Setting up the Tent

Explore Your Parks Banner For anyone who hasn't camped in a state park before and wants to give it a try, we are partnering with The North Face to offer Camping 101 - a two-night camping trip with all the gear, guides and good times included! Use of gear, two nights of camping, and instruction on how to pitch a tent, start a campfire and more is all available for just $20.

What do I get for my $20?

  • First Time Camper Informational Welcome Kit
  • Park ranger to help you set up camp
  • Two Nights of Camping
  • Gear provided by The North Face
  • tent *
  • tarp *
  • flashlight *
  • lantern *
  • camp stove *
  • (4) hot dog /marshmallow cookers *
  • * These items are lent to you by The North Face. They must be returned.

    Don't Forget to Download a Copy of the Activity Guide!

    How do I participate?

    1. Choose a date.
    2. Choose one of the state parks or state recreation areas listed below.
    3. Contact that park and ask the park supervisor to enroll you as a First Time Camper.

    Participating Parks and Recreation Areas:

    Algonac State Park - 810-765-5605
    Baraga State Park - 906-353-6882
    Bay City Recreation Area - 989-648-3020
    Cheboygan State Park - 231-627-2811
    Hartwick Pines State Park - 989-348-7068
    Hoffmaster State Park - 231-798-3711
    Holly Recreation Area - 248-634-8811
    Interlochen State Park - 231-276-9511
    Keith J. Charters Traverse City State Park - 231-922-5270
    Metamora-Hadley State Park - 810-797-4439
    Muskegon State Park - 231-744-3480
    Pinckney Recreation Area - 734-426-4913 (Sun-Thur nights Only)
    Pontiac Lake Recreation Area - 248-666-1020
    Port Crescent State Park - 989-738-8663
    Silver Lake State Park - 231-873-3083 (Participating after Labor Day)
    Sleeper State Park - 989-856-4411
    Sterling State Park - 734-289-2715
    Wilson State Park - 989-539-3021
    Young State Park - 231-582-7523

    A Recreation Passport is required for entry into any Michigan state park or recreation area. Learn more at

    QR code

    Copyright © 2001-2014 State of Michigan