Pet-Friendly Opportunities in Michigan State Parks
The Michigan DNR welcomes you and your pets to enjoy parks, trails and harbors together. Like most outdoor activities within a state park, there are some rules and regulations that apply to having a pet with you. These basic "petiquette" rules will help make your trip safe and enjoyable for you and your pets, as well as for those around you.
Rules and Regulations
- Pets must be under an owner's immediate control on a 6-foot leash at all times.
- Pets may not be left unattended or tied to an object.
- Do not allow your pet to make excessive noise.
- Clean up after your pet and dispose of waste in trash receptacles.
- Keep your pets from interacting with wildlife or disturbing visitors.
Pet Safety Suggestions
- Always remember that your pet needs water as much as you do, especially when active for long periods of time.
- Be conscious of the possible temperature extremes which your pet may be exposed to here in Michigan, such as extremely hot sand in summer and the frigid cold water during winter.
- Don't assume that your pet is physically able to negotiate the same terrain that you can.
- Do not leave your pet unattended in your vehicle.
- In the same way you may carry needed medicine or first aid supplies for yourself, don't forget the possible needs of your pet.
- It is important for both the safety of your pet and the park's wildlife that you do not allow the two to interact.
- During hunting season, it is recommended that park visitors wear blaze orange for their safety. It is equally important that your pet wears blaze orange as well.
The following parks allow some form of pet-friendly water access. Please contact the individual parks for specific questions about the pet-friendly opportunities that may be available.
- Brighton Recreation Area - 810-229-6566
- Burt Lake State Park - 231-238-9392
- Grand Mere State Park - 269-426-4013
- Harrisville State Park - 989-724-5126
- McLain State Park - 906-482-0278
- Mears State Park - 231-869-2051
- Otsego Lake State Park - 989-732-5485
- Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park - 906-885-5275
- Port Crescent State Park - 989-738-8663
- South Higgins Lake State Park - 989-821-6374
- Tawas Point State Park - 989-362-5041
- Warren Dunes State Park - 269-426-4013