Michigan is rolling out the "green" carpet to welcome everyone to the woods and waters! Recreation 101, or "Rec 101," is a series of introductory classes taught by DNR staff or expert volunteers from organizations, guide services, outfitters and more. These volunteers offer their time and knowledge at no charge to the DNR or the participants. The program is offered statewide in Michigan state parks as well as community recreation agencies through a collaboration with the Michigan Recreation and Park Association. We offer almost every recreational pursuit, from archery to ziplining, and we hope you'll try them all.
- Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park - Build a Bat House
Join the park interpreter, who will explain the vital role bats play in nature and a master woodworker will guide you in the construction of a bat house to take home.
- Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park - Create a Cutting Board (3 Day Class)
Master Woodworker Dave Rasmussen will guide you as you select your wood and glue it for finishing into a straight stick cutting board on Friday. Sand and router your cutting board and finish the straight stick design on Saturday. Complete the chevron pattern shown on Sunday at no extra fee.
- Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park - Stitching and Dyeing the Shibori Way
Join instructor Heidi Bukoski to create an attractive sampler piece using shibori, a stitching and binding technique that the Japanese have used for nearly 1000 years.
- Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park - Creative Writing: From Concept to Completed Story
Professional writer Felicia Schneiderhan will help you generate ideas, experiment with creative forms and techniques, and learn practical revision strategies to take your story from concept to completion.
- Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park - Create a Mini-Weaving
Fiber artist Jeni Varecha will teach you to use a mini-loom to create your own one-of-a-kind piece of art.
- Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park - Antlers Gone Wild
Weave an Antler Bowl, Wall Basket, Carrying Basket or Wall Hanging using white-tailed deer antlers and a large selection of natural and dyed natural materials.
- Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park - Lake of the Clouds in Stained Glass
Instructor Laura Hamlett will help you create a personalized stained glass scene of the Lake of the Clouds.
- Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park - Everyday Tote
Basketry instructor Poppy Hatinger will guide you as you weave a reed tote basket with Shaker-style handles using heritage techniques basket makers used in times past.
- Baraga State Park - Fourth of July Festivities Celebrate Independence Day at Baraga State Park! Festivities include a childrens' bike parade, activities and games on July Fourth!
- Baraga State Park - Harvest Festival
Trick-or-treat! Join us for this Halloween-themed event with activities like kids crafts and games, campsite decorating, trick-or-treating, prizes and more!
- Baraga State Park - Christmas in July Get in the holiday spirit on this festive park weekend! Activities include a bike parade, games, prizes, crafts, campsite decorating and photos with Santa.
- Baraga State Park - Kayaking 101 and 102 Learn the basics of kayaking and try out kayaking on Keweenaw Bay! Kayaks and life jackets will be provided. Intermediate level paddlers can join us for a paddle to the sloughs for a wetlands program!
- Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park - Porcupine Mountains Music Festival
Come to the Porkies for our Annual Music Festival, with two stages, bands all weekend, a children's tent and activities, and a hot food concession. The festival will take place, under a big top canopy, rain or shine.
- Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park - Snowburst Winter Carnival
Come to the Porkies Winter Sports Complex at Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park for the annual Snowburst Winter Carnival, a day filled with winter fun for the whole family!
- Wells State Park - Fourth of July Celebration
Celebrate Independence Day at Wells State Park! Festivities include a flag celebration, bike parade and games for the kids!
- Wells State Park - Spooktacular Halloween and Harvest Celebration
Get your costumes and Halloween decorations ready for Wells State Park's annual Spooktacular celebration. This Halloween themed event is sure to thrill!
- Wells State Park - Crafty Campers Arts and Crafts Sale
Show your arts and crafts talent at the Crafty Campers event! Registered campers can sell their handmade items in the park during this special event.
- Wells State Park - Christmas in July
It's Christmas in July at J.W. Wells State Park! Get in the holiday spirit on this festive park weekend and join in activities like Christmas-themed campsite decorating and a visit from Santa!
- Fort Wilkins Historic State Park - Memorial Day Ceremony
Come celebrate Memorial Day at Fort Wilkins Historic State Park! Children from the Copper Harbor School will do a presentation for Memorial Day, followed by several speakers, a benediction and raising the colors by a U.S. Marines detachment.
- Fort Wilkins Historic State Park - 12th Annual Geocaching Event
Join park staff and campground hosts for this fun event along with a picnic lunch and stories around the campfire!
- Cedar River State Harbor - Cedar River Bridge Walk
Enjoy views of Cedar River and Cedar River State Harbor on the Annual Cedar River Bridge Walk! This great community event supports the Cedarville Fire Department.
- Bewabic State Park - Harvest Festival
Come to Bewabic State Park for some fall fun! This fall-themed family-friendly activity includes crafts, campsite decorating, a parade and trick-or-treating!
- Fort Wilkins Historic State Park - Meteors and S'mores
Come to the Keweenaw for some stargazing and s'mores! Meet at the Fort Wilkins Historic State Park picnic area for a campfire and s'mores followed by stargazing and meteor viewing inside Fort Wilkins.