Fireworks-Free Fourth of July
The DNR and the Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency have collaborated to offer Fireworks-Free Fourth of July alternative camping options for veterans and other visitors, including pet owners, seeking a quieter holiday July 1-4, 2017. These selected campgrounds are located farther away from traditional community firework displays.
The DNR cannot guarantee that fireworks will not be set off near the state parks. Aerial fireworks such as Roman candles and bottle rockets are not allowed in Michigan state parks at any time, but small, low-impact fireworks such as fountain fireworks, sparklers and ground spinners are allowed.
Camping reservations can be made up to six months in advance, which means that the window to reserve these campsites is already here. To check camping availability and make a reservation, visit www.midnrreservations.com or call 1-800-44PARKS (1-800-447-2757).
The following parks will host Fireworks-Free* Fourth of July, July 1-4:
- Bewabic State Park (Iron County)
- Hayes State Park (Lenawee County)
- Lake Hudson Recreation Area (Lenawee County)
- Tippy Dam Recreation Area (Manistee County)
- Cheboygan State Park (Cheboygan County)
- Craig Lake State Park (Baraga County)
- Leelanau State Park (Leelanau County)
- Sleepy Hollow State Park (Clinton County)
- Rifle River Recreation Area (Ogemaw County)
- Brighton Recreation Area-Bishop Lake Campground (Livingston County)
- Wells State Park (Menominee County)