Recreation Passport

Most state parks, state forest campgrounds, state trailhead parking lots, and boating access sites managed by the Michigan Department of Natural Resources require a Recreation Passport for entry. There are only a few exceptions - view the full list of where the Recreation Passport is required.

The proceeds from the purchase of a Recreation Passport are used to:

  • Fund outdoor recreation facilities and opportunities
  • Fund state parks, recreation areas, state forest campgrounds, non-motorized trail heads and boat launches
  • Support historic sites within state parks
  • Provide grants to communities to improve neighborhood parks

Learn about Recreation Passport Grants

How to get it

Michigan Residents: check "YES" for the Recreation Passport when you renew your license plate at a Secretary of State branch office, self service station, or online. It's valid until your next vehicle plate renewal date. The proof of purchase is the two tiny Ps printed at the top and bottom of your license plate tab, as well as the words "Recreation Passport" on your registration.

If the Recreation Passport was not purchased when the vehicle registration was renewed, you can bring your registration to a Secretary of State branch office any time to pay the $11 and receive a replacement license plate tab. You can also purchase a window sticker for $11 at a state park or Customer Service Center. The sticker should be placed on the inside, lower right side of the passenger window.

Additionally, if you purchase your Recreation Passport through the Secretary of State, you also receive access to the statewide Passport Perks shopping discount program, giving you discounts to your favorite local businesses and services.

Non-residents: can purchase an annual pass in advance at, or buy an annual or daily pass in person at a state park.

How much does it cost?

  • $11 - Michigan registered vehicles
  • $5 - Michigan registered motorcycles
  • $31 - Non-Michigan annual pass
  • $9 - Non-Michigan daily pass

Contact us: or call 517-284-7275.

Please note: Entry into state parks, recreation areas, state forest campgrounds, boating access sites and non-motorized trail head parking lots is subject to available parking spaces. To reduce vehicle traffic and ensure the safety and privacy of campers, campground access may be limited to registered campers without staff permission.