Public Easements On State Land
- Easements are granted to authorize a specific long-term use of State-owned land. Such uses include rights-of-way for State highways, county roads, electric utility lines, telephone lines, oil and gas pipelines, telecommunication sites and similar uses.
- Easements are not typically granted to private holdings. For private easement information, visit the Sale of State-Owned Land page.
- Easements for utilities and public roads can be applied for by completing form PR6288, Easement Applications for Utility or Public Road. Applications must be submitted by the agency acquiring the public easement. Applications from private individuals will not be accepted.
- The Natural Resources Commission has established Policy 4605 - Easement for the Use of State Lands to provide guidance to the Public.
- The Department of Natural Resources has established Procedure 28.46-05 Easement for the Use of State Lands (issued 07/11/2005) to implement the policy.
For questions or comments regarding public easements, contact Paul Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org.