Graymont Land Transaction
- Graymont ProposalGraymont, Inc. has submitted a proposal to the Department of Natural Resources to acquire more than 10,000 acres of state-managed forest in northern Mackinac County near the town of Rexton for the purpose of developing a limestone mine.
The DNR is currently processing the application and reviewing it following standard policy and procedure. The procedure entails the review of the proposal by staff at multiple levels in each of the resource-managing divisions within the DNR including Forest Resources, Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks and Recreation.
A review of the application will also be conducted by the DNR's Minerals Management. As a result of this review, staff will make a recommendation to DNR Director Keith Creagh, who has the authority to make a final decision on the proposal. Creagh will make his decision at a future Natural Resources Commission meeting.
- For further information on the overall mine proposal, Graymont, Inc., has established a website containing additional details. You can view their website at the following URL:
- Graymont Fact Sheet Information about the proposal and the DNR's process for reviewing the applications.
Graymont Mineral Exchange
- Graymont Mineral ExchangeIn June, Graymont, Inc. submitted a proposal to exchange more than 1,700 acres of mineral rights with the DNR near the Rexton area in the eastern Upper Peninsula. The offered minerals are under state-managed surface and the desired minerals are located under federally owned surface within the Hiawatha National Forest. This proposal will receive a similar review and decision process as the original Graymont land transaction application.
For further information on the overall mine and mineral exchange proposal, Graymont, Inc., has established a website containing additional details. The website is available at http://rextonproject.com.
Proposed Mineral Exchange
- The DNR is currently accepting public comments regarding the Graymont proposals. Input will be accepted until the DNR director reaches a final decision. Provide comments to: