Outdoor Adventure and Discovery Center
Welcome to the Outdoor Adventure & Discovery Center
The State of Michigan, Department of Natural Resources along with numerous other partners will soon open the Outdoor Adventure & Discovery Center (OADC), a facility that will house exhibits, displays, and hands-on simulators introducing visitors to features in state parks, recreation areas, beaches, trails, and harbors.
Various simulated activities will provide outdoor recreation experiences, while exhibits and displays will show the natural and cultural resources found in Michigan.
The OADC is located across from the William G. Milliken State Park & Harbor at the intersection of Atwater St. and the Dequindre Cut Trail.
Transforming the Globe Building into the Outdoor Adventure & Discovery Center
Extensive work over the summer has begun to change the former steam engine factory into what will become a 43,000 sq. foot, three-story must-see destination.
View photos highlighting construction progress:
What will the inside of the Outdoor Adventure & Discovery Center Look Like?
Check out the latest plans for the first floor (PDF Document, 11,091 KB)
Check out the latest plans for the second floor (PDF Document, 22,571 KB)
Proposed exhibit areas you will be able to explore
You're invited to be a part of the OADC
While Natural Resources Trust Funds have been allocated towards the acquisition of the building, we are conducting a fundraising campaign to purchase the exhibits, displays, and simulators that will go into the OADC.
Review the various sponsorship opportunities available
Articles and Stories About the Outdoor Adventure & Discovery Center
- Have a Look At The Globe Building Now (Curbed.com, November 8, 2013)
- Rivertown plan seen as catalyst for more development (Crain's Detroit Business, July 28, 2013)
- $60M east riverfront development in Detroit to bring housing, streetscape (Detroit Free Press, July 23, 2013)
- Work begins to spin Globe site into activity center (Crain's Detroit Business, June 17, 2013)
- Globe Building being demolished as Detroit's riverfront continues rapid transformation (Mlive, June 11, 2013)
- DNR Begins Rehab of the Old Globe Building (dBusiness - February 26, 2013)
- Historic Detroit Dry Dock Complex being demolished (WDIV 4 -Detroit, June 5, 2013)
- Launch of Globe Outdoor Adventure & Discovery Center Project in Detroit (Video)
- DNR Rides Into The D (CBS 62 - Detroit, February 25, 2013)
- Whitney Building, Globe Trading work to start (Detroit Free Press, March 26, 2013)
- Detroit becoming an urban outdoors destination (The Daily Tribune, October 12, 2012)
- Detroit Riverfront renewal: Gov. Rick Snyder to break ground for DNR outdoor activity center (Mlive, October 5, 2012)
- DNR launches Globe Building (Inside Michigan's Great Outdoors, November 2012)
For More Information
To learn more about the Outdoor Adventure & Discovery Center project, or to request a presentation for your group, organization, or business, contact:
Miguel Rodriguez, 517-241-4129, RodriguezM2@michigan.gov or
Anthony Casasanta, 586-718-3662, CasasantaA@michigan.gov