Outdoor Adventure Center
Click for larger Image
Click for larger Image
Welcome to the Outdoor Adventure Center
The State of Michigan, Department of Natural Resources along with numerous other partners will soon open the Outdoor Adventure Center (OAC), a facility that will house exhibits, displays, and hands-on simulators introducing visitors to features in state parks, recreation areas, beaches, trails, and harbors.
Various simulated activities will provide outdoor recreation experiences, while exhibits and displays will show the natural and cultural resources found in Michigan.
The OAC is located across from the William G. Milliken State Park & Harbor at the intersection of Atwater St. and the Dequindre Cut Trail.
Transforming the Globe Building into the Outdoor Adventure Center
Extensive work over the summer has begun to change the former steam engine factory into what will become a 43,000 sq. foot, three-story must-see destination.
View photos highlighting construction progress:
- July 2014 (waterfall construction)
- January/February 2014
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- August 2010
What will the inside of the Outdoor Adventure Center Look Like?
View the latest floor plans for the Outdoor Adventure Center (PDF Document, 5,110 KB)
View a floor-by-floor presentation of potential exhibit areas (PDF Document, 6,644 KB)
How is the project being funded?
While Natural Resources Trust Funds have been allocated towards the acquisition of the building, we are conducting a fundraising campaign to purchase the exhibits, displays, and simulators that will go into the OAC.
How can I help in your fundraising effort?
Your support of this project is important. It will assist us in funding the development of the exhibits, display, and simulators that are being created for use in the Outdoor Adventure Center. It also demonstrates the support the community has for a facility like this, and allows the DNR the ability to seek other sources of funding, especially when a match amount is required.
Through a unique public-private partnership arrangement, The Detroit RiverFront Conservancy, a 501(c)(3) organization, is serving as the fiduciary for the project and will oversee the collection of funds.
Checks should be made out to the Detroit RiverFront Conservancy and mailed to:
DNR Outdoor Adventure Center
c/o Detroit RiverFront Conservancy
600 Renaissance Center, Suite 1720
Detroit, MI 48243-1802
To learn about in-kind donation opportunities and other ways to help, please contact us.
Additional sponsorship opportunities
We have sponsorship opportunities available for businesses and organizations who want to have a larger level of participation in the Outdoor Adventure Center. Click on the link below to view those opportunities.
Articles and Stories About the Outdoor Adventure Center
- Globe Building Rehabilitation Wins in 2014 ENR Midwest Best Projects (Walbridge, September 17, 2014)
- DNR customer service center in Detroit to open today (Detroit Free Press, June 30, 2014)
- Know the outdoors: Kids help name new Detroit's Globe Outdoor Adventure Center (Detroit Free Press, June 29, 2014)
- Outdoor Adventure Center on Detroit's riverfront promises aquarium, waterfalls Detroit Free Press, June 22, 2014)
- $13 million DNR Outdoor Adventure Center will bring Michigan's Great Outdoors to downtown Detroit (Mlive, April 23, 2014)
- Have a Look At The Globe Building Now (Curbed.com, November 8, 2013)
- Rivertown plan seen as catalyst for more development (Crain's Detroit Business, July 28, 2013)
- $60M east riverfront development in Detroit to bring housing, streetscape (Detroit Free Press, July 23, 2013)
- Work begins to spin Globe site into activity center (Crain's Detroit Business, June 17, 2013)
- Globe Building being demolished as Detroit's riverfront continues rapid transformation (Mlive, June 11, 2013)
- DNR Begins Rehab of the Old Globe Building (dBusiness - February 26, 2013)
- Historic Detroit Dry Dock Complex being demolished (WDIV 4 -Detroit, June 5, 2013)
- Launch of Globe Outdoor Adventure & Discovery Center Project in Detroit (Video)
- DNR Rides Into The D (CBS 62 - Detroit, February 25, 2013)
- Whitney Building, Globe Trading work to start (Detroit Free Press, March 26, 2013)
- Detroit becoming an urban outdoors destination (The Daily Tribune, October 12, 2012)
- Gov. Rick Snyder in Detroit to launch $12.8M Globe Building remake (Detroit Free Press, October 6, 2012)
- Detroit Riverfront renewal: Gov. Rick Snyder to break ground for DNR outdoor activity center (Mlive, October 5, 2012)
- DNR launches Globe Building (Inside Michigan's Great Outdoors, November 2012)
For More Information
To learn more about the Outdoor Adventure Center project, or to request a presentation for your group, organization, or business, contact:
Linda Walter, Outdoor Adventure Center Director, 313-396-6876, WalterL4@michigan.gov or
Miguel Rodriguez, 517-284-6127, RodriguezM2@michigan.gov