Working for Wildlife - Habitat Improvement Occurring
The Department of Natural Resources, Wildlife Division is excited to share our latest habitat improvement projects by keeping you up-to-date and displaying our progress along the way. Habitat destruction is one of the leading causes of listing species as threatened or endangered. Strengthening the ecosystem through habitat is critical to the survival of Michigan's wildlife.
Add us to your online favorites: www.michigan.gov/workingforwildlife
- Rose Lake State Wildlife Area
Located about 12 miles northeast of Lansing, just north of M-78 and I-69 (exit 94), this area is close to Lansing and East-Lansing areas. The are offers many outdoor opportunities, a diversity of landscape types, and a variety of options throughout all Michigan's seasons.
Watch the change! Rose Lake SWA is undergoing a facelift. You can view changes to Rose Lake as habitat improvements are implemented for wildlife.
- Gourdneck State Game Area Located in Kalamazoo County near Portage, this SGA is best viewed from the rest area located in the northbound lanes of U.S.-131 north of Shaver Road or by hiking in from the parking lot located off Vanderbilt Avenue.
Watch the change! Gourdneck SGA is undergoing a historic restoration of its prairie and savanna complex, which was lost due to agricultural development. This project is scheduled to run through 2018. Learn more about the Gourdneck State Game Area project.
- Maple River State Game Area Located north of St. Johns and south of Ithaca in Clinton, Gratiot and Ionia counties, you will find Maple River SGA approximately one mile south of M-57, or Cleveland Road, off U.S.-127.
Watch the change! Maple River SGA is undergoing a facelift. You can view changes to Maple River's wetlands over the next few years as habitat improvements are implemented for wildlife. Learn more about the Maple River State Game Area project.
- Fennville Farm Unit - Allegan State Game Area Located on 118th Avenue, the Fennville Farm Unit can be found just 14 miles west of the city of Allegan.
Watch the change! Fennville is undergoing impoundment changes that will benefit waterfowl, wetlands and hunters. Work should be completed by August 2013. Learn more about the Fennville Farm Unit project.
- Manistee Marsh - Manistee River State Game Area Located along M-55, in the Manistee River State Game Area is just a mile east of Lake Michigan. The project is out of Traverse City.
Watch the change! The Manistee Marsh will undergo $15,000 of engineering renovations for a Wildlife Improvement Project (WIP). The engineering phase will be completed first with a cooperative effort between Ducks Unlimited (DU) and the DNR. Additional funds will be sought in the future to pay for the construction phase. Learn more about the Manistee Marsh project.