Fennville Farm Unit - Allegan State Game Area
Goal: To provide quality habitat that presents ample feeding and roosting opportunities for waterfowl in areas that can be hunted and viewed by the general public.
The Allegan State Game Area is divided into 10 zones. Work is currently being done in zones 7 and 8.
Using a $280,000 grant and a cooperative effort between the DNR and Ducks Unlimited (DU), one 70-acre shallow water impoundment will be created in Zone 8 and another 70-acre shallow water impoundment will be improved in Zone 7.
- The work will be managed by DU and completed by a contractor from August 2012 to August 2013.
- A 70-acre shallow water impoundment will be improved in Zone 7 by excavation and repair of the dikes that control water flow.
- This work will provide full management control of the impounded wetlands and improve the management abilities by installing a water lift station that can be used to put water into the flooding.
- A 70-acre shallow water impoundment will be created in Zone 8 by creating dikes to control water flow.
- This work will provide shallow water habitats for a variety of wetland species.
- To Waterfowl:
- The impoundment creation and improvement will provide shallow-water habitats that are a quality source of natural foods - such as beggar's tick and smartweed.
- The areas are also great habitat for roosting waterfowl.
- To Hunters:
- The primary benefit to hunters will be the creation of huntable flooded wetlands with food sources that will draw waterfowl to the area.
- The work will more than quadruple this type of habitat in the Farm Unit hunting zones and will greatly diversify the hunting opportunities here.
- To Other Wildlife:
- Non-game species will benefit from the creation and restoration of wetland habitats.
- A short list of species expected to benefit include turtles, amphibians and wetland bird species (wading birds included).
- Wildlife viewers will be able to use these areas to encounter species that they may have difficulty seeing in other areas.
For more information on the Allegan State Game Area Fennville Farm Unit visit, www.michigan.gov/wetlandwonders.