Planning Regionally for Michigan's Forest Health and Growth - Michigan.gov/regionalforestplans
- Subscribe to Forest Planning updates from the Michigan DNR
- Michigan's world-class state forests offer rustic adventure and enjoyment, provide critical habitat for wildlife, and fuel a vital timber industry. Sustaining our state forests is a huge responsibility, requiring thoughtful and inclusive long-term planning. Historically, Michigan has benefited from state forest planning efforts at the local and state level. Today, the DNR and many stakeholders have worked hard to create Regional State Forest Management Plans (RSFMPs) that:
Public review of and comment on the proposed drafts of each regional plan were essential parts of the process. Below, we offer the finalized and approved regional plans.
- Recognize the unique needs of individual management areas;
- Account for regional needs;
- Better inform and guide management and operational decisions and
- Help improve communication among all interested individuals and organizations.
Approved Regional State Forest Management Plans (December 2013)
View our Webinar
- WebinarThis webinar is an introduction to the draft plans that explains how they are organized and what you can expect to find.
- Public CommentsThe initial public review period closed March 8, 2013, and brought in more than 400 valuable comments and suggestions. After considering that input and making some revisions, the DNR gave the public and stakeholders the opportunity to review the proposed final drafts. Public review was open and comments were accepted through Dec. 9, 2013. The plans were approved by DNR Director Keith Creagh on Dec. 12, 2013, and are now posted to this website. Thank you for taking the time to share your opinions and ideas about Michigan’s state forest system.
- Response to Public Comments
- Summary of Major Changes
- ImplementationImplementation of the Regional State Forest Management Plans will begin after approval by the Director. Implementation will continue over the planned, 10-year life of these versions of the plan.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Contact UsStill have questions? Contact us. If you have questions regarding specific plans, you may contact DNR Forest Resources Division (FRD) inventory planning specialists and/or Wildlife Division (WLD) ecologists by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling one of the following region-specific staff members:
Northern Lower Peninsula
- Tom Haxby (FRD planning specialist), 231-775-9727
- Keith Kintigh (WLD ecologist), 989-732-3541
Eastern Upper Peninsula
- Kristen Matson (FRD planning specialist), 906-293-5131
- Sherry MacKinnon (WLD ecologist), 906-293-5131
Western Upper Peninsula
- John Hamel (FRD planning specialist), 906-228-6561
- Mark MacKay (WLD ecologist), 269-685-6851
You may also contact the FRD forest certification planner at 517-284-5873 or email@example.com.