Archived Driver Responsibility Fee Information
Law changes effective October 1, 2015
- Law Changes Effective April 1, 2013
- Law Changes Effective October 1, 2012
- Information about the Driver Responsibility Fee Community Service Program
The Driver Responsibility Fee Community Service Program ended December 31, 2015. Applications will no longer be accepted for this program. The time to apply for community service has expired and we are no longer accepting applications.
Archived Frequently Asked Questions
Drivers with seven points or more on their driving record will receive fee assessments.As of November of 2006, point assessments will be issued.
If you have received an "Order of Action" notice alerting you of a Driver Responsibility Fee Suspension
Second Year Driver Responsibility Fee NoticesStarting in April 2005 second year Driver Responsibility Fee notices will be issued.
Its purpose is to encourage traffic safety by deterring potentially dangerous driving behavior. Other states, including New Jersey and Texas, have implemented similar laws. Michigan's Driver Responsibility Law calls for a monetary assessment for drivers who:
- Are convicted of specific qualifying offenses, or
- Accumulate seven or more qualifying points on their driving records