Records Management Training
Online Training Note: online classes can be taken at any time by clicking on the links below, and do not require pre-registration.
- Managing Records is Important: This interactive online tutorial provides a brief introduction to the records management responsibilities of Michigan government employees.
- Basic Records Management: This online class defines the different types of records and explains how Retention and Disposal Schedules assist and protect Michigan government agencies. This essential class will help all government employees comply with their records management responsibilities.
- How to Manage Records: This online class describes best practices for managing paper and electronic recordkeeping systems. The target audience is employees with responsibilities for managing centralized recordkeeping systems. However, many employees will benefit from the tips that are provided.
- Imaging and Document Management Solutions: This online class helps agencies identify cost effective ways to manage records and information using technology.
- E-mail Management: This online class provides information about how to manage e-mail records.
- Snack It & Pack It: This online class provides tips for how to clean up your office.
Live Classes Note: employees are encouraged to pre-register for live classes by clicking on the links below.
- Records Management Training Calendar: List of the classes offered by the Records Management Services (dates, times, locations).
- Basic Records Management (registration): Register for this one-hour live class. This class answers the questions, "What records do I have to keep?" and "How long do I have to keep certain records?" This class explains how retention and disposal schedules assist and protect Michigan government agencies. This training will help all state employees comply with their records management responsibilities.
- How to Manage Records (registration): Register for this one-hour live class. This class covers best practices for managing both paper and electronic filing systems, organizing records, storing records, destroying records, risk management, record clean-up and more. This class is designed for employees with record keeping responsibilities for shared filing systems. Employees should take the Basic Records Management class prior to taking this class.
- Imaging and Document Management Solutions (registration): Register for this two-hour live class and demonstration. This class will help agencies identify which technology tools can really meet their recordkeeping needs and lower costs.
The following presentations were delivered by Records Management Services staff to groups of state and local government employees about a variety of topics.
- Basic Records Management class handout (December 2016)
- Basic Records Management class handout - text only version (June 2016)
- How to Manage Records class handout (December 2016)
- How to Manage Records class handout - text only version (June 2016)
- Imaging and Document Management class handout (June 2015)
- Imaging and Document Management class handout - text only version (June 2015)