Technical Services DivisionContact: Technical Services Division 517-284-7790
The Technical Services Division (TSD) is responsible for a variety of services to MIOSHA staff and clients. TSD staff prepare and administer most of the grants and contracts related to the federal programs that MIOSHA supports and monitor budget activity. The program areas include:
- The Laboratory and Equipment Services Section (LESS) includes an industrial hygiene laboratory, which is accredited by the American Industrial Hygiene Association, for analysis of air and material samples for occupational exposure to air and physical contaminants. LESS also includes an instrument calibration and maintenance program for providing field instrumentation to MIOSHA industrial hygienists and safety officers to assess exposure to chemical and physical hazards in the workplace.
- The Management Information Systems Section (MISS) is responsible for compilation of accurate and timely injury and illness data, provides information to MIOSHA clients about recordkeeping requirements, prepares statistical information and reports to programs about enforcement activities, monitors data related to MIOSHA strategic planning activities, and provides computer and software support to other MIOSHA programs.
- The MIOSHA Standards Section (MSS) provides services for the promulgation of Michigan occupational safety and health standards and rules. MSS coordinates the activities of related advisory committees, and also conducts other activities, such as public hearings to receive comments on draft standards.
The Freedom of Information Section (FOIS) coordinates and prepares most of the responses from MIOSHA for requests for information under the Michigan Freedom of Information Act. FOIS also supports MIOSHA staff with information for depositions and subpoenas. Effective September 30, 2015, all Freedom of Information requests involving MIOSHA, including the Wage and Hour Program, and the Radiation Safety Section, MUST be directed to the LARA FOIA Coordinator at LARA FOIA Coordinator contact link.
The Consultation Education and Training (CET) Grants Administrator manages the CET Grant Program. The CET Grants supplement MIOSHA activities by providing competitive grants to nonprofit organizations to provide training and education in emerging safety and health issues, to address particularly dangerous occupations, and to extend MIOSHA's impact through "train-the-trainer" projects and for difficult to reach target groups.
- The Radiation Safety Section (RSS) regulates radiation machines by registering and inspecting facilities utilizing radiation machines.
- The Wage and Hour Program (WHP) administers and enforces Act 390 Michigan Payment of Wages and Fringe Benefits Act, Act 154 Michigan Minimum Wage and Overtime Act, and Act 166 the Prevailing Wages on State Funded Construction Projects Act. WHP investigates complaints alleging non-payment of wages and fringe benefits, state minimum wage, overtime, equal pay, and prevailing wage.
TSD Mission Statement
Provide professional administration of Wage Hour laws, analytical, informational and technical services to internal and external customers.