LARA Releases Advisory Bulletin Regarding Medical Marihuana Application Process
Media Contact: LARA Communications 517-373-9280
October 12, 2017 – The Dept. of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) released an advisory bulletin today to inform and advise prospective medical marihuana licensees concerning the Bureau of Medical Marihuana Regulation’s (BMMR) intended application process. The bulletin is for advisory purposes only and is subject to change.
On December 15, 2017, LARA will begin accepting online or paper form applications, utilizing a two-step application process for medical marihuana facility licensing:
- License Qualification
This two-step process will allow applicants to begin the application process by completing step one before a location for the medical marihuana facility is established. If applicants have a location secured, they will have the option of submitting step one and step two materials at the same time.
During pre-qualification, an applicant will be fingerprinted and will undergo a full background investigation of themselves and their affiliates. The background investigation includes (but is not limited to):
- Review of an applicant’s criminal and financial history
- Regulation and taxation compliance
- Business litigation history
Pre-qualification will also require the following information, at a minimum:
- Name and contact information for person completing the application and the individual or entity seeking licensure.
- Name, contact information, and percentage of interest for persons or businesses with an interest in the applicant.
- Supporting documentation demonstrating the applicant’s business status, financial position, regulatory compliance, criminal history information, and taxation history. This includes, but is not limited to: company bylaws, business registration documents, prior or existing regulatory licenses, W2s, and financial institution statements.
- Signed and notarized attestation statements affirming full disclosure and consenting to the BMMR background investigation process.
License Qualification will require the following information, at a minimum:
- License type sought
- Municipality approval and copy of the municipality’s authorizing ordinance.
- Technology, staffing, marketing, inventory, security and recordkeeping plans.
- Depictions of the marihuana facility floor plans and layout of facility premises.
- Proof of insurance, bond, or securities for the facility.
This bulletin does not constitute legal advice and is subject to change. It is intended to be advisory only, in anticipation of LARA’s promulgation of emergency rules consistent with statutory requirements. Potential licensees are encouraged to seek legal counsel to ensure their licensure applications and operations comply with the Medical Marihuana Facilities Licensing Act and associated administrative rules.
For more information on BMMR, please visit: www.michigan.gov/bmmr
For more information about LARA, please visit www.michigan.gov/lara
Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/michiganLARA
“Like” us on Facebook or find us on YouTube www.youtube.com/michiganLARA