Public feedback sessions on final Line 5 Alternatives Analysis begin Wednesday
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Nick Assendelft, MAE, AssendelftN@michigan.gov, 517-284-8300
Andrea Bitely, Attorney General’s Office, BitelyA@michigan.gov, 517-373-8060
Ed Golder, DNR, GolderE@michigan.gov, 517-284-6241
Tiffany Brown, MDEQ, firstname.lastname@example.org, 517-284-6716
Dec. 4, 2017
Three public feedback sessions regarding the final independent Alternatives Analysis report on the Straits of Mackinac Line 5 pipeline begin this week.
Who: The Michigan Agency for Energy, Michigan Attorney General’s Office, Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, and Michigan Department of Natural Resources.
When and Where:
- Taylor: Wednesday, Dec. 6, beginning at 6 p.m., Heinz C. Prechter Educational and Performing Arts Center, Wayne County Community College District, Downriver Campus, 21000 Northline.
- St. Ignace: Tuesday, Dec. 12, beginning at 6 p.m., Little Bear East Arena, 275 Marquette St.
- Traverse City: Wednesday, Dec. 13, beginning at 6 p.m., West Bay Beach Holiday Inn Resort, Leelanau Banquet Rooms, 615 E. Front St.
Why: The events are an opportunity for the public to suggest the next steps the State should take regarding Line 5 based on the information in the final version of the Alternatives Analysis. The report by independent contractor Dynamic Risk Assessment Systems, Inc. analyzed alternatives to using Line 5, owned by Enbridge Energy Partners, L.P., to transport light crude oil and natural gas liquids from Superior, Wisc., through the Straits of Mackinac to Sarnia, Canada. The final report incorporates some changes by Dynamic Risk, as well as some of the public comments that were offered on the draft version of the report.
How else to participate:
- Interested persons may submit their comments on the report at the Michigan Petroleum Pipelines website, www.mipetroleumpipelines.com until Dec. 22, 2017.
- Comments can also be made at the Dec. 11 meeting of the Michigan Pipeline Safety Advisory Board. The Board will meet from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Causeway Bay Lansing Hotel and Convention Center, Ballrooms F-J, 6820 S. Cedar St., Lansing with the public comment period scheduled from 9 a.m. to noon, to be followed by other business including a Line 5 coating presentation, independent Line 5 Risk Analysis update, and an update on Enbridge’s agreement with the State that was announced Nov. 27.
# # #